Tax deductions when running errands for my properties

Tax deductions when running errands for my properties

Blue Island, IL · Member since 2008 · 6 posts · 2 votes

During the first week of the month, like most landlords, I'm tasked with collecting rent, paying bills and utilities, and as always, looking for more property to acquire.

I have never expensed lunch when i'm out and about running these "errands" but a fellow landlord told me that he was deducting the normal 50% of the cost of meals when tax time rolls around.

For example, my friend leaves his office at 10am, and drives to a property and collects rent from 6 tennants. 11am, he drives to a 2nd property to collect rent from 4 tennants. then it's noon. He stops by McDougals, sits down and has a $7 lunch, keeps the receipt, then drives to a 3rd property and collects his remaining rent.

now we all know the mileage driven is deductible in full for those trips, but what about the lunch cost?

Quick searches tell us that it has to be reasonable, and related to your business in order to claim the tax deduction.

Can someone clarify if it's possible to deduct the lunch as a business expense in the above scenario? Also, what if the errand is simply running to the post office at lunchtime to check your PO box and grabbing lunch on the way. Are these legitimate deductions i've been missing all along?

Thanks,

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y

Based on the facts it is not possible to give a definitive yes or no. My guess would be no because the landlord is not driving far enough to be considered traveling. A landlord that needed to travel to take care of there rental properties could deduct the travel costs which would include meals while away from home.

Driving around town on business errands and stopping to buy lunch would not be a legitimate business deduction. Stopping to discuss maintenance issues with a property manager and buying lunch would be deductible.

Keeping good records though is important. I often use a day planner to document the travel and meetings during the day. I make note of who I met for breakfast, lunch, dinner or coffee and what the purpose of that meeting was. You can also write the info on your receipt.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bellefonte, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 88 votes
    18y

    I'm no expert on the tax rules but I like to play it safe and I would not do it.

    The only meals I expense are the ones where I take a business related "client" out to a meal. Be it my RE Agent, another investor (mentor), a contractor, banker, or even tenants. Then I write on the receipt and note in my books who I took out to eat and why.

  • Blue Island, IL · Member since 2008 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "dafly":
    I'm no expert on the tax rules but I like to play it safe and I would not do it.

    The only meals I expense are the ones where I take a business related "client" out to a meal. Be it my RE Agent, another investor (mentor), a contractor, banker, or even tenants. Then I write on the receipt and note in my books who I took out to eat and why.

    This is exactly the formula and method I use to do mine. However, if it's at all possible, that's a few more $$ in my pocket at tax time, and I'm not one to pass up a tax deduction when it's legit.

    Hoping that someone here can shine a definitive light on the subject, preferrably someone with tax advice. My accountant is good at keeping records and making my books straight but she's not up to date on the details of tax code.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    18y

    I don't see how or why lunch like that would be deductible.

  • Accountant · Newtown, CT · Member since 2008 · 123 posts · 34 votes
    18y

    sounds like an ordinary lunch that you would take personally and is not deductible.

    If you had other persons with you and you were discussing business and picked up the tab, then yes it falls under the 50% meals/entertainment category.

    If you stop by to grab lunch while you are running errands for your business just the same as you would go out and grab lunch while you are working behind your desk, then it does not qualify.

    The IRS would disallow it.

  • Real Estate Investor · liberty township, OH · Member since 2008 · 149 posts · 6 votes
    18y

    i agree .. I guess the guy is getting away with it because the tax man has not come knocking on his door!!! It just is not worth it to be able to deduct $5 or $10 off your taxes

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Based on the facts it is not possible to give a definitive yes or no. My guess would be no because the landlord is not driving far enough to be considered traveling. A landlord that needed to travel to take care of there rental properties could deduct the travel costs which would include meals while away from home.

    Driving around town on business errands and stopping to buy lunch would not be a legitimate business deduction. Stopping to discuss maintenance issues with a property manager and buying lunch would be deductible.

    Keeping good records though is important. I often use a day planner to document the travel and meetings during the day. I make note of who I met for breakfast, lunch, dinner or coffee and what the purpose of that meeting was. You can also write the info on your receipt.

  • Real Estate Investor · Northeast TN, TN · Member since 2008 · 516 posts · 361 votes
    16y

    I would say, Charles, this would be a definitive "no." :-) Based on the $7 expenditure at Micky D's this landlord is eating alone. As such, the meal is personal and 100% NON-deductible regardless of his activities prior to the meal. For a 50% deduction to be allowed there has to be a business reason for the meal, which by implication would include a business colleague.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Bill Walston:
    I would say, Charles, this would be a definitive "no." :-) Based on the $7 expenditure at Micky D's this landlord is eating alone. As such, the meal is personal and 100% NON-deductible regardless of his activities prior to the meal. For a 50% deduction to be allowed there has to be a business reason for the meal, which by implication would include a business colleague.



    Bill, if you are performing business travel, which would need to be far enough to require a sleep over, then eating a meal alone is a deductible travel expense.

    This example doesn't seem to fall in that category. A landlord visiting properties in another state could end up with lodging and meal expenses that are deductible. These meals are still subject to the 50% rule.

    There are meals though that can be deducted in full, but it would be unusual for most investors to qualify for these types of meal expenses because employees are involved.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 66 posts · 12 votes
    16y

    Ryan,

    I do not think that your meals would be deductible as a legitimate business expense. This is no different than the rest of the working folks out there and they do not get to deduct lunches. If you are travelling and it is not reasonable to bring lunch or go home and eat, this would seem reasonable as a business expense. In terms of having lunch with business partners? Maybe. I would take very clear notes of who, when and why you had the meal. I know that meals and entertainment expenses are highly abused and can receive a lot of attention from the tax man. Personally, I would not go through an audit to write of a couple of hundred dollars in meals, but that is everyone's own call. Mostly, keep good records just in case.

    Jeff

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.