Change windows?

Change windows?

Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes

Working on my numbers for my next rehab project and I need some input. I haven't had to change windows in the houses I've rehabbed so far, so this would be a first.

There's nothing wrong with the windows, except that they are old. They are the ones with the thin silver frame and the thin glass.

My partner and I are debating it, he says there is no need to change them since they are in good condition, and I want to change them since we are planning on changing all the A/C ducts and the inside and outside A/C units so changing the windows will be a plus and make the house more energy efficient by keeping the cold air in.

Advice? I know it's a big expense and it will be a big item on my estimate sheet but I think it's worth it considering the price range I will be able to sell this house in.

Also, I've been pricing them out on home depot but I'm assuming that just going directly through a company that installs windows I can probably get a cheaper price on the windows than the prices I am seeing at Home Depot?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y

Oh - also, check with your local utility company (electric or gas) and see if they have rebates for windows. Mine do - and I get around $100 for each window back. It's worth looking into.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Priscilla Z - I'm generally a big fan of replacing windows, because it makes such a dramatic difference. I guess it really depends on the competition you will be facing, but windows do make a place pop from the outside and inside.

    I actually generally get all my windows from Home Depot or Lowes. I haven't really found anyone cheaper - but I've seen many at WAY higher costs.

    Typically, I figure $150 - $250 for a window from one of those places, and I get an experienced handyman/contractor to put them in. I always get a per-window charge from my contractor, and usually it's $50- $100 per window (depends on the existing condition of the window as to how much work it will be to pull out and replace.) A lot of window crew guys will also work nights and evenings to put windows in for you - but be careful with Insurance and such, cause if someone fell and got hurt - that would be bad.

    Hope that helps some!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Oh - also, check with your local utility company (electric or gas) and see if they have rebates for windows. Mine do - and I get around $100 for each window back. It's worth looking into.

  • Greentown, IN · Member since 2012 · 140 posts · 18 votes
    13y

    You might price windows through a big box store and also through your installer.

    We found that the common sizes were much cheaper at Menard's.

    It may be different in your area.

    Also... do you think windows will make your sale price that much higher, or just a faster sale? Make sure you can at least recoup the cost if you do it if they aren't a necessity. I never want to do something I don't "have" to do unless I'm sure I'm going to get that money returned when I sell the property. I don't want to work for free.. or worse, pay someone else for me to do it.

    Something else you might consider is just replacing the ones seen from the road... it will show nicer with a better curb appeal and if the purchasers want to replace the others later they can, and the project is already started for them.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Lake Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 41 posts · 18 votes
    13y

    When deciding to change windows and 50% of the sold comps have new windows and 50% don't...i walk outside in the front yard and look at the houses around me. if the 3 houses accros the street have new windows...there's your answer.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    13y

    Brandon Turner - Thanks for the input, yes from my continued research it seemed that the big box stores are the way to go and then getting my contractor to install each...if I decided to change them....

    JD Castillo - thanks for the advice, that's exactly what I did, looked at the sold comps and active comps, 90% had original windows, which means....as Suzie B. said, "I never want to do something I don't "have" to do unless I'm sure I'm going to get that money returned".....and since I don't think the windows will be a big selling point on this house, then I'm not going to do it.

    Again, thanks everyone for your input.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    On a cape we did the large front windows were the old single pane double hung.
    We had a company here just make two pieces of glass sealed for insulation for each opening.
    The glass was also tinted.
    Then we framed the glass inserts in with jamb extensions etc. it looked great & saved us a lot on special order prices.
    Another one we replaced all the windows with those we could find at a contractors excess stock depot. I was there today & couldn't believe the pricing. A 5x6 Jeld Wen was down to $35.
    We were getting windows for $30-$98 depending on the size. I put in a 6x8 three pane in the dining room for $198. Admittedly we had to increase the opening in the wall somewhat but as we were going to reside it we ended up replacing every window.

    We also had to be aware of the egress codes as we were replacing 2nd storey windows.
    It made a huge difference to their heating bills.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Priscilla Z

    A couple of factors include:

    1. How long do you plan on keeping the house? The longer hold time helps spread the costs out over a longer period of time.

    2. How many windows you have to replace? We did a house that we replaced 37 windows, that was quite a job.

    3. How old are the existing windows? The place with the 37 windows was 120 years old and had the original windows, it was time.

    4. What is all this going to costs? We used a national company that customer built the windows and installed them for $189 each. There were some extras including disposal, capping, and potential other upgrades. There were 4 guys, 2 trucks and they finsihed the job in 1 day.

    5. Maybe you don't have to replace all the windows. We had one house that only had 7 windows, and we replaced 5 of them but kept the other 2. At this place the windows that we replaced were TRIPLE paned, but all the windows replaced either would stay shut or wouldn't stay open? I theorize that the sash weight was much more and the mechanisms were not built for the extra weight.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I've had windows replaced before. I would recommend finding a small window company to make the windows and install.

    The guys that I use have there own small shop in the war zone. They come to the house and measure and then order the glass and make the windows in their shop. Once they are done, they come and install and dispose of the old ones.

    For average size windows, I pay about $200 per window. These are for vinyl, single hung windows with a screen. I feel there's no need to pay more for double hung windows.

    I've been to their shop to see how they make them. It's very interesting. They take the vinyl stock and cut it at a 45 degree angle with a regular miter saw. There's a machine with a metal piece at a 45 degree angle that goes between the corners and heats it up super hot which fuses the vinyl pieces together.

  • Rehabber · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2012 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    I always replace old aluminum single-pane with double-pane vinyl windows. Depending on the area, you can get away with used vinyl windows as long as they are in fair shape, search craigslist. I used to replace all the windows on my rehabs with new vinyl w/ grids. Found out that it didn't really do much for resale value in my market. Buyers are looking for dirt cheap deals these days.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    13y

    Again, thanks for all your suggestions. This house is a rehab, buy, fix, and sell immediately so I'm working on my budget and getting my final written estimates. As of today, if my budget permits, I will replace the windows. I just think with all that we are going to do to this house, adding new windows will give it more value and I may be able to put it on the market for more.

  • Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2012 · 91 posts · 14 votes
    13y

    Priscilla,

    I just placed an order with ABC Supply for some Vinyl replacement Double-Hung windows. They have locations all over Florida. They were base models, and cost an average of $150 a piece + Plus installation. I am not sure what your contractor charges an hour, but my contractor quoted me 2 hours a window to install them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.