Flipping Houses

What I Learned From Mistakes Made on My Latest Flipping Project [With Pics!]

Expertise: Real Estate Wholesaling, Real Estate Marketing, Business Management, Personal Development, Flipping Houses
flipping-lessons

I recently flipped a house that I learned quite a few lessons from. I received a referral lead in a hot pocket of town. The landlord was tired and really had no use for the property anymore. He called me up and gave me the opportunity to buy it. I said, "Of course I will." I had to put up $5k nonrefundable as an earnest money deposit. I purchased the house for $90k. I called up my hard money lender that agreed to lend on the house. My rates were 3 points and 15% interest rate. He is really easy to work with, so the rates were not a big issue. I closed on the house in June and got the tenant out by end of month. My contractor started in July, with an expectation to have the project finished by October.

I then purchased plans because we were doing an extension on the house, adding 130 square feet to complete a master bedroom. We had a two-week delay in the beginning of the project. FYI, always make sure your contractor is licensed to prevent delays. After we resolved that issue by finding another GC to obtain permits, we were up and running.

Getting a Real Estate Agent’s Help Before the Flip

I consulted my real estate agent before the project, like I always do. He came up with things needed to sell the house fast. It's always a good idea to have a real estate agent who is out in the field getting things done. The reason being, a real estate agent who is out doing business knows what home owners want and don't want. So, my agent walked the property and asked for the plans. I provided the plans, and he advised that the house did not have a dining room. He stated at this $250k price point, we needed to have a dining a room. I figured that made sense, especially since we are in Charlotte, NC. Fortunately, his father was an architect for most his adult life. His father improvised a dining room in the front of the house, and all was well for the time being.

Related: The “3 P’s” That Helped Us Land Our Very First Million Dollar Fix & Flip [Video!]

The project started to move along — then we came across a snag that cost us two weeks. The GC did not follow the plans with the roof, and we had to get a letter from the architect stating that it was structurally safe. And, of course, the inspector was on vacation. The inspector had taken a two-week vacation, so we had to wait for his return.

The two weeks finally passed, and we could start the insulation on the house. After insulation and sheet rock, the project usually moves pretty fast. Of course, just my luck — my GC is not that good at handling multiple projects. So October turned into November, which pushed the finished product back to December. The original budget was $75k, and of course, the unforeseen items came up and that turned into an extra $20k. So I ended up spending an extra $20k on the construction. The lender agreed to $75k, so I still had $20k of my own money stuck in the rehab until it sold. If you have never worked with a hard money lender before, you can't get your last draw until it's finished.

Completion of the Project — and What I Learned

Now the construction was done. I needed appliances, and of course, the real estate agent recommended staging. Fortunately, it was fourth quarter, so a lot of the retail stores were having a sale on stainless steel appliances sets. I ended up spending $2k on appliances and $2k for staging for 60 days. After the initial 60 days, the cost will be $350 a month. We went on the market a few days before Christmas. That's also a bad time to list a property due to everyone focusing on the holidays and going out of town. I signed a contract the day before Christmas. The list price was $289k, and the final offer accepted was $286k, with $5k in seller's concession.

IMG_5895 office back corner back1 front guest bath1 kitchen1 living room master1

Related: House Flipping: 5 Vital Tips for Success (Based on My Mistakes!)

In conclusion, looking back, I should have made the master bathroom bigger to fit a bigger vanity. I also should have put the refrigerator in a better place to not make the entrance to the rest of the house look bigger. Also, since we were doing an extension and eliminating a bedroom, we should have made the master closet bigger. The buyers did their inspection and found a few little issues. I must say the GC was a stand up guy and fixed all the little issues on the list that needed to be repaired. That’s one thing I can say about the GC — he is trustworthy. Also, whenever you rehab a house with a chimney, make sure you state that the chimney is “as-is.” Fortunately, I was able to fix the little things that the inspector wanted for the chimney, but it could have been avoided by putting in MLS description “chimney is as-is.”

Investors: What projects are you working on right now? Do any of these lessons ring true to you?

Let me know with a comment!

Nasar El-arabi has been involved in real estate for 12 years. During those 12 years, Nasar has wholesaled houses, rehabbed properties, built new properties, created a buy and hold portfolio, and flipped land. Nasar identified early in life he wanted to have his own business. Fortunately, because of parents who instilled an entrepreneurial spirit in him, he was able to build a seven-figure business after being terminated from his job in September of 2012. Nasar has gone on to become a successful real estate investor in Charlotte, N.C. Nasar has over 100 videos on YouTube and runs a blog at RealEstateDoru.com.

Daniel Moffett from Charlotte, NC
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Nice job Nasar, looks like the flip went well! Sometimes it is difficult to figure out how to best deal with the space you have to work with but I think you made good decisions on what to add with the existing and additional space. Good advice on chimneys as well, those always seem to have issues and are usually not cheap to fix.
    Nasar Elarabi flipper_rehabber from Charlotte, NC
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Thanks alot Dan and I hopefully we will do another deal soon.
    David Beckley real_estate_agent from Saint Louis, MO
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Nice work Nasar!!! One question…………I have zero experience in rehabs. What’s the best way to learn how to estimate costs and go through the entire rehab process?
    Benjamin Cowles from Cape Coral, FL
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Nice job! Thanks for the tips. Looks like you made out alright anyway.
    Nasar Elarabi flipper_rehabber from Charlotte, NC
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Thanks alot and you right I was still able to make out.
    Ashley Wilson rental_property_investor from Radnor, PA
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Good article! We recently completed a flip, and added an addition. Looking back at the flip, we still question the profit made if we had not added the addition and priced the house at a lower price point. Of course this would ended with less time on market, less renovation cost, less risk for delays, and less of our own money in (meaning not being able to be used for other projects). We have since decided that doing an addition only makes sense if there is substantial profit to be made that outweighs all of the other factors I noted above. Looking back on your project, especially since you also had an interest rate on your loan, do you believe it was still worth adding the addition? I am asking as I am still uncertain as to what is the “magic” number that qualifies as substantial. Is it 10% (of your initial investment) in addition? I am sure it is different for everyone, but wanted to get your take.
    Jazmine S. from Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Hello Ashley. Do you mind providing a small synopsis of what was entailed in regards to the addition? Was it another bedroom that was added? Who did you work with in order for everything to go through… An architect? Structural engineer? GC… Your city’s building services department etc.? I would love to hear a very basic rundown of what was entailed/who was hired. It would be very helpful!
    Nasar Elarabi flipper_rehabber from Charlotte, NC
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Ashley The Addition we added created a potential 100k in total profit. However due to running over Budget that wont be the case. I think if adding a addition will add a extra 50k-100k in profit it its definitely worth it.
    Ashley Wilson rental_property_investor from Radnor, PA
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Nasar, Thank you for your thoughts on this. I think that is a good threshold. Best of luck 2016!
    Lydia B. from Denton, Texas
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Looking back, would you have hired a designer to help with the floorplan?
    Nasar Elarabi flipper_rehabber from Charlotte, NC
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    No, I dont think it was necessary. I just wished I would have had a better vision. thanks for reading
    Don Harris realtor from Charlotte, North Carolina
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    @Nasar, I remember that house from the meetup that was held there early on. Great job and good ending. Congrats. On to the next ones! Persevere.
    Dennys
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    @nasar, thanks for sharing what you’ve learned from this flipping experience. Glad you still made out well!
    Marcia Jeanes from Calgary, Alberta
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Beautiful job on the rehab! I love the finishes you chose, and especially love the way all that wood panelling around the fireplace was transformed. Nice work!
    Seth Carlone-Hanson investor from North/ Central, Florida
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Excellent, thanks for sharing.
    Michael S. from Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Thanks for sharing and the great tips. The flip looks very good despite all the setbacks.
    Maroun Youness from San Francisco
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Thanks Nasar, I have a question, What is a GC
    Nasar Elarabi flipper_rehabber from Charlotte, NC
    Replied over 3 years ago
    a GC is a General Contractor
    Maroun Youness from San Francisco
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Thanks Nasar, I got a question…. What is a GC
    Maroun Youness from San Francisco
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Thanks Nasar, I have a question… What is a GC
    James Slaughter from Davidson, North Carolina
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Nice job Nasar! I also attended the meet-up at your flip and that is quite the transformation.
    Lizina Green flipper_rehabber from Pawleys Island, SC
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Beautiful Transformation. With every flip there is always something new to learn.