Real Estate Investing Basics

5 Ways Real Estate Can Help You Escape Your Lousy Job

Expertise: Landlording & Rental Properties, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Business Management, Flipping Houses, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice, Real Estate Wholesaling, Personal Finance, Real Estate Marketing, AskBP, Real Estate Investing Basics
Beautiful african woman happy and excited celebrating victory expressing big success, power, energy and positive emotions. Celebrates new job joyful, outdoor

In the summer between my junior and senior year of high school, I spent a few hours working at a local strip club.

But don’t worry, Mom. I was just helping my plumber boss fix a leak. And it was closed that day.

I’ve also worked on a congressional campaign, run a handyman business, and spent time as a banker.

I was on a streak of pretty terrible jobs. That is, until I discovered real estate.

Real estate has some tremendous superpowers—not the least of which is its ability to get you out of a terrible job. Today I want to share with you five ways real estate can make that happen.

Here we go.

How Real Estate Can Help You Escape Your 9-5

1. House Flipping

I know you’ve seen the TV shows. The annoying guy and attractive woman walk into the dirty house, the man takes the sledge hammer, pounds a hole in the wall, and 25 minutes later, they are touring the completed property and counting their profit.

Although house flipping might be a wee bit different than what you see on TV, you get the idea: buy nasty houses, fix them up, sell them for more, and make it rain.

2. Cash Flowing Rentals

Obviously, being a landlord isn’t the most glamorous job in the world, but behind male modeling, it’s a close second.

OK maybe not. But owning rental properties can be a great way to get you out of a job.

Think about it. If you made $200 per month in cash flow per unit after all the bills have been paid, how many units would you need to quit your job?

Twenty? Fifty?

Whatever the number is, that’s your goal. So go out and start collecting rentals.

Related: 5 Ways to Make Enough Side Money to Eventually Quit Your Job

3. Wholesaling

Imagine a scenario with me: Your neighbor tells you he wants to sell his go-kart for $500. You know that your cousin Jim-Bob has been looking everywhere for a go-kart. So you get the go-kart for $500, and then you charge JimBob $800 and make a cool $300 for just facilitating the deal.

Makes sense, right?

Well, wholesaling is pretty much the same thing. You find great deals, you find people who want great deals, and you put them together and make some cash on the spread.

Of course, there are a lot of rules and laws that govern this practice — and it’s easy to get yourself into trouble with wholesaling because you don’t want to break the law of “practicing real estate without a license.”

But if you do it right, you can wholesale just one or two deals a month and make enough to quit your job.

tricks-find-flips

4. BRRRR Investing

BRRRR stands for “Buy-Rehab-Rent-Refinance-Repeat.”

It's the basic idea that you buy a fixer upper, make it look pretty, rent it out to some rad tenants, refinance the loan so you get all your money back, and do it again. It's kind of a cross between flipping and rentals and allows you to get the advantages of both without some of the risks of each.

Of course, as with any of these, there are right and wrong ways to do it. To learn more about BRRRR investing, be sure to read my free guide at www.BiggerPockets.com/brrrr.

Related: I Quit My Day Job, Retired Early & Started a New Venture Using Real Estate: Here’s How

5. Become a Real Estate Agent

I know, this one is a little different because it doesn’t involve YOU investing in real estate. Instead, you can make a nice income helping other people buy real estate.

Not only can you make good money as an agent, you also get first access to deals as they are listed. Yes, being an agent might be a "job"—but there is a good chance it's a lot more fun than yours!

So don’t put up with a terrible 9-5 job for the rest of your life. Follow one of these five strategies, and start planning your escape.

Are you using real estate to leave a terrible, no-good job?

Let me know what strategy you’re using and where you are in your journey in the comment section below!

Brandon Turner is an active real estate investor, entrepreneur, writer, and co-host of the BiggerPockets Podcast. He is a nationally recognized leader in the real estate education space and has tau...
    Allen Chambers
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Elijah Marchany
    Replied 7 days ago
    Dude this is awesome! This is exactly what I’m trying to do. Very happy for your success.
    Allen Chambers
    Replied over 3 years ago
    I’ve worked 23 years In a job I hated, the last seven of which I received no raise because the state had frozen wages. I took the leap, got my Real Estate license and haven’t looked Back. I’ve flipped 2 houses in the last 18 months and sold 25 as an agent . I’m not getting rich but I am no longer miserable and the amount of time I’ve had with my family has been unbelievable. I would never discourage anyone from taking the leap. If it doesn’t work out you can get another crappy job!!! Reply Report comment
    Allen Chambers
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Allen Chambers
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Allen Chambers
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Account Closed from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Replied over 3 years ago
    That’s great Allen. Glad to hear your enjoying being and agent and doing deals. What city are you in?
    Ben Leybovich Rental Property Investor from Chandler/Lima, Arizona/OH
    Replied over 3 years ago
    We would never see an article titled like this from the likes of Scott Trench…LOL
    Account Closed from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Great article Brandon. I was happy to see number 5 in there because I’m finishing up my real estate course as we speak. I am anticipating that being on the inside will net me some deals for myself as well as given me real estate knowledge and experience. Definitely beats my current 9-5
    Ashley E. Investor from Henderson, Colorado
    Replied over 3 years ago
    So many people are in jobs that they hate, doing things that they hate, perpetuating s lifestyle that they hate— and do NOTHING about it except complain. I love your incorporation of humor in the article to make it a fun read, but informative also. I am a firm believer that your future is up to YOU and no one else. Loved this article, Brandon 🙂
    Valmikanathan Onbattuvelli
    Replied 9 months ago
    Good article and Idea. But, the Repeated refi has to stop somewhere. Banks are watching the debt/income ratio very closely now a days.
    complex carbs
    Replied 9 months ago
    Th?nks in support of sharing such a g?ood opinion, pi?ce oof writing is nice, thats why i have read it entirely
    losing weight
    Replied 9 months ago
    What i d?n’t reali?e is actu?l?y how you’re not really m?ch more neatly-appreciated than yoou may be right now. You’re very ?ntelligent. ?ou recognize thus significantly ?it? regards to th?s topic,produced me for my part ima?ine it from a lot of various angles. Its like men and women are nott inv?lved unless it is ?ne thing to acc?mplish with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs nice. At all times take ?are of it u?!
    Tony Morgan from Portland, Oregon
    Replied 9 months ago
    just getting started .Been watching a lot of podcast great information. great teaching tool learning a lot .just became a pro member . Now to put it to use . Thank You BP. Tony M.
    Jeffrey Bower
    Replied 7 months ago
    This is a great goal to have. Work smart not hard!
    Jeffrey Bower
    Replied 7 months ago
    "Not only can you make good money as an agent..." You *can*, but I've read that it's difficult to become successful in the first two years, including the start up expenses. I hope readers know that becoming a real estate agent doesn't guarantee you're leaving a lousy job. For some people, this might *be* your lousy job if you're not very good at it. Lol.
    Mike Miller
    Replied 7 months ago
    Very informative post, Brandon!
    Rob B. from Chicago, IL
    Replied 7 months ago
    I know this is an older post (looks like it was added about 3 years ago), but still rings very true today. I'm working through the process of securing my first rental property, and many of BiggerPockets resources have seriously come in handy during this process. My focus has been primarily on BRRR strategy and I'm also prepping to acquire a realtors license; in addition to the full-time role I currently hold which has helped me in a tremendous way (as far as learning about REI and building multiple revenue streams by way of acquiring rental properties). Eventually, I want to get to a place where I can start flipping homes but for now, going to focus on BRRR.
    Sandra Ceja from Los Angeles, California
    Replied 6 months ago
    hello everyone! the wholesaling business really interest me. I'm just waiting to receive my appointment to take my real estate sales person test. can I still do wholesale being a licensed sales person?
    Partap Chauhan
    Replied 6 months ago
    Thanks for the informative post! My plan of action is (3) wholesaling -> (1) House Flipping -> (2) Rental cash flow
    Kellie Howell
    Replied 4 months ago
    Great article, The information you shared about real estate is amazing. This Post gives us a way to escape from our boring job. Thanks for such amazing idea. If you're establishing a brand-new site or moving an existing one from an additional organizing solution, These vps reseller plans can promote the logistics of domain name migration, email organizing, as well as website building. This may be helpful for your business.
    Gagan Hurria Rental Property Investor from 94539
    Replied 4 months ago
    Great blog post! Very informative and good to see ideas for building entrepreneurs.
    Isaiah Ortiz-Hoyle Rental Property Investor from San Diego, CA
    Replied about 2 months ago
    I appreciate the quick and to-the-point structure of this blog post. Easy read, and it makes me think of some of the possibilities to creatively grow my income. Thank you Brandon!
    Omoteye Ogunsakin
    Replied about 2 months ago
    I work a 9-5 atm, i won’t say it’s crappy but everyday I walk in for the day’s job, I know I am more than what I do there, I know I want more than that, I want control of a diff life and real estate is one of that I’m passionate about .. I visited this site trying to go into wholesaling, hopefully I’ll figure it out and know enough to get me where I belong. Thank you