Flipper/Rehabber · springfield, PA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 4 votes
I bought 6 unit property in Wildwood,NJ,
in November 2024, doing rehab now, should be done by May 2025
I am planning to subdivide 6 unit building to 6 separate condos and sell fall 2026, , if there are any experts in 1031 that can help me?!
planning to list them for 2024 taxes as 6 different properties and when rehab will be done , I will get all 6 deeds, can I sell individual condo and 1031 based on basis I will show? Real numbers- purchase 907k,
rehab , closing costs, soft costs, 840k, all in 1.747 mil, basis for each unit should be roughly 291k
appraisal of each unit minimum 400k , so 2.4 mil if for all 6.
I might refi only 4 out of 6, that will cover initial loan amount.
Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7mo
@Ilia Zakharav, Generally a legal separation into individual units does not constitute a change from property held for investment and property you intend to hold. a legal separatiion simply indicates your rights for the property you have. When you turn a shovel - like putting infrastructure in or driveways to separate lots, that is when the IRS will sometimes say you are a builder developer and you can't do a 1031 immediately. Changing the legal rights generally doesn't disqualify for 1031 purposes.
When you separated those units into individual addresses your accountant would have reclassified the basis into each one as appropriate. When you sell one it's basis is whatever was allocated as part of the division. And each basis is what is used for the 1031.
It sounds like this will work out for you very well.