To 1031 or Not to 1031, That is the Question

To 1031 or Not to 1031, That is the Question

Littleton, CO · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 6 votes

I had good timing and got a good deal on a rental property I purchased in the Denver area about 2.5 years ago. I bought it for $238k, put 20% down. Rents are up to $1850/month in the area, but the home value is up to about $375k for the property. The way I look at it is, I wouldn't buy a home for $375k that I could only rent for $1850, so why continue owning it if money can be better used elsewhere? I know it's impossible to time the market, and the Denver area may have plenty more room for growth, but I'm more interested in the cash-flow game than riding the appreciation wave. Having said that, I'm torn between which route makes the most sense: Do I 1031 to save on tax, or do I pay the taxman on appreciation, but keep flexibility with what I can do with the cash?

The downside I see with 1031ing is that it forces me to get into a relatively move-in ready property since I can't roll my equity into rehab.

The upside for paying gains on my equity is that I have the flexibility to sit on the cash indefinitely while looking for a sweet deal, and could buy something that's needing some love, and have the cash to make it happen.

A little about me and my goals:

-My risk tolerance is about 5 or 6 out of 10.

-I'm primarily interested in building a portfolio of cash flowing rentals (open to multi-family or SFR). I'm more interested in the potential for cash flow than I am for appreciation (though both would be great!).

-I'd like to have 10 to 15 doors 10 years from now.

-I am self-employed and have a fairly flexible schedule.

-I'm open to having to hire out moderate rehab on a property I purchase if the numbers make sense.

-I'm most likely going to be buying in either CO Springs, or Omaha.

I'm new to this site, and appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance!  

0Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

Being self-employed, are you sure you can qualify for a loan on a new purchase? I would assume yes, but if there is some issue, then you don't want to be caught in a contract to sell. What do you like about the Springs or Omaha? Do you have people there you trust?

I'd 1031 if you are comfortable where you will end up. However, I would caution you about selling the property before you have something to buy. Once you close on your home, you'll have 45 days to "identify" up to 3 new properties. You'll have to buy one of those. If you don't, then your 1031 is dead. 

You might wait to see if Trump reduces the cap gains tax as well. Another year of appreciation can't hurt. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @David Harriman

    I didn't see where you listed what your cash flow would be if you rented your current residence for $1850.  I don't see you having any problem accumulating 10 to 15 doors in the next 10 years, depending on the area you are cultivating.

    I have no current knowledge about Littleton, but I did live in the Bomar South area of Littleton back in the late 70s. I also did a lot of real estate syndicating in that area and love dColorado Springs investments. 

    Here is a third option for you. I didn't hear where you said you needed to hit a grand slam. So maybe this would work for you where you have an extensive period of time you are looking at.

    It would be penned on what numbers you are after and whether this exceeds your tolerance level. As an owner occupant that has lived in your house for several years, you would have the ability to go in and refinance it, while you are the resident. That would give you significant cash that you would be able to purchase the second property, and you haven't needed to make a 1031 decision at the present time.

    I have been doing both in the past three years. Cashing out of many properties and continuing to 1031 on some others. I have decided the market is saturated and am actually selling a large apartment complex in the Dallas area, due to close in several weeks. It has had tremendous increase in value, tremendous cash flow but I have taken both depreciation and cost segmentation depreciation. I will be writing a check to the tax man of over $1.2 million and that will not be fun! I am so convinced that the buyer is paying too much for my property( I advertised the property here on BP and had three buyers willing to pay my asking price) that I did not want to 1031 nearly $6 million into another overpriced property.

    I will stand on the sidelines and wait for another crash, and feel very secure in my decision. At the present time.

    Good luck.

    Rich Weese

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Being self-employed, are you sure you can qualify for a loan on a new purchase? I would assume yes, but if there is some issue, then you don't want to be caught in a contract to sell. What do you like about the Springs or Omaha? Do you have people there you trust?

    I'd 1031 if you are comfortable where you will end up. However, I would caution you about selling the property before you have something to buy. Once you close on your home, you'll have 45 days to "identify" up to 3 new properties. You'll have to buy one of those. If you don't, then your 1031 is dead. 

    You might wait to see if Trump reduces the cap gains tax as well. Another year of appreciation can't hurt. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    things I would consider - Am I happy with the cash flow?(looks like you are close to the 1% rule. .77% of rent to purchase price). If you happy with the cash, why sell? remember you are not paying the mortgage of a 375k house but one of around 190k. 

    If I 1031, can I find another good investment in 45 days and close in 180 using all of my gains? 191k -375 = 184- closing etc. Using all 170k  into new cash flowing property.

     Looks like you would be around 25k in capital gains tax at the end of the year if just sold outright. 

    Or you could cash out refi or use a heloc to get cash out to buy another rental.

  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    9y

    Hi @David Harriman, if you're an accredited investor and depending on how active you want to be you may want to consider getting into a syndication on an apartment or other commercial property.

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @David Harriman so one advantage of a hot market is that you can wait for a sweet deal in either Co Springs or Omaha. When you find it, put it under contact with a slightly longer close and then put your property here up for sale. Close the one here before you close the sweet deal and then put the net proceeds in a 1031 exchange and buy then a few days later close on your purchase. As long as you don't get greedy on the sale and over price you should be able to pull that off. Since a 1031 only requires the same level of debt on your purchase you can probably find someone to finance the deal and then work out a situation to refi out some of the equity to do the fix up. There would be some costs and lots of work but for 20% of you net proceeds, it might be worth it.

  • Chris LopezPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 858 votes
    9y

    @David Harriman You have a "nice" problem!

    1) Have you looked at other properties or investments to compare rates of return? I'd go out and look at properties and do some analysis first. See if it even makes sense.

    2) Rather then a 1031, what about refinancing it and pulling some cash out? The costs on new loan is cheaper than transaction costs on properties. 

    Refi with a 75% LTV (.75 * 325k) = $243,750 - current loan (185K ???) = 58k. That's enough for a down payment on another property.

    Not enough cash for what you want to do? Wait another year for some more appreciation and more principle pay down. 

    If you sell your house for a 1031, you'll pay $20k in fees and closing costs. 

    If you want 10 doors, why give up a door?

  • Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    @David Harriman

    I would echo what Chris is saying. Just selling for the sake of selling is a waste of time and fees. Pull some equity out and wait for a good deal. 

    I am going through a 1031 right now and it was pretty easy to find a replacement but I was selling to a current renter under with minimal closing costs. Otherwise I would have kept on cash flowing and saving for my next deal. 

    I would not sell and pay the tax man, it will be a lot. The 25% cap gains tax and you will have to recapture 2.5 years of depreciation at your regular income rates (ouch)!

  • Littleton, CO · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the replies.  Very helpful.  Glad I found BP podcast!

  • Real Estate Investor/Broker · Irving, TX · Member since 2015 · 520 posts · 263 votes
    9y
    Rich Weese I thought we brought the buyer? :)
  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @David Harriman I forgot to mention that Westerra should be able to give you a HELOC on your rental home. I've had a few clients go that route. It might be a better option for you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.