Is an LLC necessary for my FL STR?

Is an LLC necessary for my FL STR?

New to Real Estate · Chicago, IL · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 5 votes

In 2025, I purchased an STR property in the panhandle. I live in Chicago. Did some research on moving the deed to an LLC, but it looks like FL is particularly tough with lawsuits involving short term rentals, and that piercing the corporate veil is much more difficult to avoid. The only reason I was exploring an LLC was added protection for my personal assets. Can someone please provide some insight on this? The doc stamp taxes alone would be ~$5,000, and I already have ~$3M in coverage between my dwelling and umbrella policies.

Thanks!

0Reply
127 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    8mo

    It's almost always smart to put an investment in an LLC. You limit your liability.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Not a legal professional: my opinion is the umbrella insurance is more important but I would recommend consulting a lawyer. 




  • David PeschioBusiness Member
    Richmond, VA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 181 votes
    8mo

    Definitely would recommend an LLC. Umbrella policyDefinitely wo is also a great recommendation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.