How to Start a Business - Online Courses or Books

How to Start a Business - Online Courses or Books

Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 184 posts · 92 votes

Hi BP Community,

I wanted to see if anyone has recommendations on great online video courses or any books related to starting a new business. I'm looking to expand on what I've done so far in real estate and grow it into a serious real estate business. Hoping to gain a strong business foundation, learn the basics, nuts & Bolts of starting a business, etc. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! 

0Reply
8 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Houma, LA · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 115 votes
    9y

    Garret Sutton's Loopholes of Real Estate is pretty good. It covers some business basics. Based on his business structure recommendations from that book, I will assume his "Start Your Own Corporation" will give you a deeper dive into that sort of stuff. He has numerous books on business entities available and is a Rich Dad adviser.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 184 posts · 92 votes
    9y

    I guess more of what I'm looking for is less of what business entity to put my properties in and more along the line of the nuts and bolts of starting a business. For ex: Putting a business strategy/plan together, deciding specific business roles with partners, all the info you would need to know to start your own business. I just don't want to wing it at all and would like to have a legit plan and business put in place to give me a solid foundation. I'm sure there's some things I don't know that I need to know that will help my business run smoother.

  • Concord, NH · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 16 votes
    9y
    This might be overkill, but it would not hurt to read the partnership statute in your jurisdiction. You can find the uniform partnershipact online (I forget if it's UPA or RUPA). Just make sure you have the correct version. It is not very long and by going through the rules you can have a decent understanding of things you should be thinking about in terms of exit strategy, conflict resolution, shares allocation.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.