LLC Formation in MD? or UT?

3 Replies

Hey Bigger Pockets Community!! I'm looking at starting an LLC. My dilemma is though that I live in Utah and am flipping a property in Maryland. Should I found the LLC in UT and register it as a foreign LLC in MD? Or just simply found it in MD? I have family in MD who can act as my registered agent with an address if I need to. But not sure what the best strategy is here. Thanks for your time and input in advance!

Oh boy, first off congrats!  My best advice would look into the legal protection provided in each state and then base your company in the one that provides the most benefits for you.  I would recommend talking with a real estate attorney or a cpa regarding this matter.

I know an attorney in Utah County that does nothing but real estate. His firm has spoke at a lot of REI events here in Utah and they provide really good info.

Its Breglio Law and the attorney I know there is Cody Backus

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you