Investor · Sistersville, WV · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 2 votes
Help!!! My son and I just started real estate investing. I currently have one rental property on my own, but my son and I are teaming up and would like to buy 3-4 properties a year doing fix and flip and some rentals. We are in West Virginia in the Northern Panhandle and I am having a very hard time finding a tax strategist CPA and attorney who specializes in real estate. I have contacted some local investors in my area but it seems like no one wants to say who they use other then they don’t use people in the local area. We just bought our 1st property together and need to get everything set up the right way and need it done quickly. Looking for recommendations for good ones.
Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
5y
Genine,
I recommend finding an accountant that specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.
I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.
Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance.
Attorney · Slidell, LA · Member since 2016 · 322 posts · 179 votes
5y
Disclaimer: I am an attorney, but I am not your attorney. This is not legal advice, just friendly information.
In this case it is best to have a CPA that handles real estate investing, but they can be from anywhere. Maybe talk to @Bob Norton. As for an attorney, there are a couple considerations. A proper real estate attorney (ie one who can help with closings in WV) needs to be local, preferably in your same county or very near. You can branch out further for asset protection or corporate structuring (like separating active income from flips and passive income from rentals), and probably even further for federal or tax issues.