San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
Hello All,
I am a rather new investor. I own 1 single-family residence that I am renting out and have also invested in Open Door Capital on their Cheval deal. I am looking at getting more serious about real estate and am looking for some advice on how best to find a mentor.
My main goal is to build my real estate portfolio to generate enough passive income that I can quit my 9-5 and dedicate more time to RE investing. Any tips on how to find a good mentor would be highly appreciated. I am willing to work for free to be able to learn the business in my free time outside of my 9-5.
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 296 votes
4y
@Charles E. Bruckman, welcome to BP! Both @Abel Curiel and @Robert Williams make great points. I have always heard this reiterated many times and will echo it: give the mentor something worth their while. Is it finding them deals? Maybe you're great with digital design, or marketing, or personal outreach - it could be anything. Have something you can offer of value back to them!
Be very clear about your goals and unique value proposition. Being that you already have experience and have a set target of quitting your job, you're on a great path! Be as specific as possible when defining your goals and skillset that you bring to the table. Although you're offering 'free' help, it still comes with a cost to the mentor. The main cost being time. Show folks how you can save them time & money by coming on board. They will still need to invest time into you but it always helps to know if/how that time will be worth the investment.
Search the BP forums for previous posts about this same topic. You may be able to find great recommendations from other BP members including potential mentors.
Use the BiggerPockets platform to your advantage. Networking within the REI community has never been easier. In the last 2 years, I have mentored 2 great additions to my team who were interested in different aspects of Real Estate investing and Real Estate Sales. I met both contacts right here on BP! Stay active on these forums, set up keyword alerts and search for topics and people of interest in your target market.
New to Real Estate · Joliet, IL · Member since 2021 · 89 posts · 135 votes
4y
@Charles E. Bruckman everything that @Abel Curiel just said, also coupled with the vibes. I am a musician and trying to find a mentor was and still is hell. One guy told me I was a cool cat until I opened my mouth. Apparently the way I was dissecting/processing what he was showing me was not appreciated and made me look arrogant, when all I was trying to do was take what was being given and translate it to something I could retain.
That being said, stay the course and someone will come along for the ride. If they see that they can help you, and you will listen, and not just there to be a leach, I’d say you’re golden. Best of luck to you!
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 296 votes
4y
@Charles E. Bruckman, welcome to BP! Both @Abel Curiel and @Robert Williams make great points. I have always heard this reiterated many times and will echo it: give the mentor something worth their while. Is it finding them deals? Maybe you're great with digital design, or marketing, or personal outreach - it could be anything. Have something you can offer of value back to them!