Fannie Mae Homestyle Renovation loan

Fannie Mae Homestyle Renovation loan

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi Everyone,


I recently put in my first offer ever on a small single family (2 bed 1 bath 1000 sq. ft) and I am using a Fannie Mae Homestyle renovation loan to pay for the purchase price of the house and the renovations. It has a leaking roof, some structural damage to the joists and band sills, some cracked window panes, moldy drywall/popcorn ceiling, etc.  The mortgage lender says that all the work that makes the house "livable" must be done by the contractor. I plan on doing the rest of the work myself (flooring, painting, patching cracks in drywall, etc.). What other items in a house must be fixed in order to make the house "livable?" I am in the state of NC. 

I am trying to have the bare minimum on the loan to keep down the mortgage cost so I can do the rest of the work myself.  

Thanks,


-Nick

0Reply
32 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 326 posts · 266 votes
    4y

    Great work. I have also been interested in this process. Le me know how it all turns out.

  • Lender · Tampa/St. Petersburg/Sarasota FL and Knoxville/Sevierville/Maryville, TN · Member since 2018 · 361 posts · 178 votes
    4y

    The way the loans work is a portion of the loan amount is put into an account on a draw schedule. Once the contractor has completed work and then an inspector goes out and reviews, they will release the funds. Your lender should have talked you through a lot of this. There will be a lot of discussion between yourself, the appraiser, the contractor, and your bank and lender. I work with these loans in Florida.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    So if the contractor makes a plan and the appraiser believes that something else should be done in order for the home to be livable then we can make the adjustments with the contractor and notify the lender? Thank you both for the response. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.