Lawyer Willing to Answer Newbie Questions

Lawyer Willing to Answer Newbie Questions

Brian BoydPro Member
USA · Member since 2019 · 305 posts · 536 votes

I see a lot of new investors seeking advice. How I can I help? 

Disclaimer: Your state laws will vary but I can point you in the right direction.

1Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Brian Boyd:

    I see a lot of new investors seeking advice. How I can I help? 

    Disclaimer: Your state laws will vary but I can point you in the right direction.

    Hi Brian, I see you practice tax law. So, if someone files their 2017 taxes in 2020, then realizes he claimed a large loan as income instead of as a loan, then amends the return in 2021 to reflect that it was a loan not income and the IRS sends a letter in late 2021 indicating that the amended return needs to be resubmitted and requires beginning with using the originally submitted numbers instead of changing the numbers to what they should have been, when does the 3 year clock start on auditing?

    Asking for a friend.

  • Brian BoydPro Member
    OP
    USA · Member since 2019 · 305 posts · 536 votes
    4y

    As to audits, the IRS usually can audit returns filed in the last 3 years. However, if you amend a return, the clock starts anew. You can start the clock on the scenario above in 2020 for the 2017 return. Hope this helps.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.