Down Payment strategy - Buy and Hold Rentals

Down Payment strategy - Buy and Hold Rentals

Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 7 votes

Hi, 

Are there any negatives to using my capital in securing a secured LOC for the down payment as opposed to dropping all i've got to closing on a deal? Secured rates are 3.25, cash flow will cover the LOC payment and clear it in 2 years. I've still got my cash and can move on to the next.


I don't seem to understand how people move beyond 1-2 properties without acquiring capital through alt means. For example, I have 100k. Costs 50k closing/down for property 1 and 50k closing/down for property 2, this nets me, let's say, $500/month/property. Long term the investments make sense but bringing in $12k a year with 3% growth annually, leaves around 8ish years to recoup my cash and get into another deal without setting money aside and saving left/right to have cash on hand for that next deal. People say just find a partner like these people are knocking on doors asking if anyone wants to take their money for investments but they seem very uncommon in the grand scheme of things. I understand many of these people selling now are just cashing out on the historic RE price growth over the past couple years. 

I've spent hours going one property after another using rental analysis tool and rental property tool at current housing, condo, multi prices only to find anything that doesn't have 3-5 people jammed into a dilapidated shed to have negative cash flow or minimal CF with extremely risky variable expenses. I'm only looking in my market at the moment (Houston) where I see people mention the great opportunities they keep finding but I'm curious if it's all just flippers attacking the mass gentrification of Houston proper. 


What is some advice for a noob on buy and hold rentals from someone that is having success in the Texas markets? It certainly feels like 85% of this group are flippers or rehab cash out guys and this just doesn't apply to myself. 

0Reply
30 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Cody Richard

    Sorry I don't have a magic bullet story...  But, this is why its called investing, not a job.  You need funds to invest to make more money/wealth.  Flippers are taxed as ordinary income, for example.  So, the IRS even realizes the difference between doing a job and investing.

    Out of curiousity, what if you didn't take that LOC against your securities? Other than the market being kinda down I believe and you'd be selling at a loss, how quickly would you make back that amount? In your OP you would clear the LOC in 2yrs. 3.25% isn't that high, so would you make back your cash in say 1.75yrs? I'm missing something, other than how a LOC against your securities would work (e.g. what if the market dropped further, would there be something similar to a margin call?).

    This is also why many many investors take the route of living in the properties so take advantage of conforming loans to get higher LTV's. This was also common in the 2000's. Obviously, this course of action isn't for everybody.

    Other ways to go at this are more "advanced."  Investing in tax liens, purchasing properties subj-to perhaps, etc.  It takes skill and lots of effort to find those deals which needs to meet a certain set of criteria for those kinds of deals to work.

    Otherwise, you are going to route of most of the other BP threads that go about trying to invest with no money...

    Good luck.

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Buy as owner occupied properties...with potentially as little as 3-5% down.  Wait a year and move into the next owner occupied property with low down payment loan...and rent the first.  Means you have to move every year, but also mean you have fun living in a new or different house or location ever year.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Lynn:

    Buy as owner occupied properties...with potentially as little as 3-5% down.  Wait a year and move into the next owner occupied property with low down payment loan...and rent the first.  Means you have to move every year, but also mean you have fun living in a new or different house or location ever year.

    That isn’t an option. I’ve got a great house in a great area with wife/kids. We’re a $200k salary household but cash poor outside of securities and retirement max outs. 

    I understand how effective of a strategy it can be but  it wouldn’t make sense given the quality of assets we can put the cash down on. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    @BruceLynn Are these 3-5% down mortgages easy to find? I had never heard of them before this week. Thanks! 

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Judy Beebe

    Conforming loans… fha 3.5% down, conventional loan 5% down and in certain cases as low as 3% down.  But you need to qualify and owner occupy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.