Newbie , advice needed what can I realistically do with 20k-30k

Newbie , advice needed what can I realistically do with 20k-30k

Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes

Hello all . Peace and blessings . The ultimate question is what can I do realistically do you 20-30 k cash in real estate ? Creative answers , advice in real estate , which markets please answers .

Some context ,  in my mid 20s I opened a bank account and had very little money amount taken out of my paycheck every 2weeks . Little to the point I didn’t even notice and forgot I even had the account . My thinking for opening the account was , when I retire , I’m buy a nice car cash as a retirement gift to myself . I know a 20 year old mindset lol . Now in my early 40s , now I’m close to retirement from my city ( NYC ) job , I really don’t care about material things anymore . Especially after this pandemic and losing so many people to it , I really just don’t care and making every decision for my family , not myself . I have a pension coming ( but plan on leaving all of it to children ) , as I’m retiring young and can work somewhere else , have a 401k ( again plan on leaving to children and going to rollover once I retire ) , me and wife been saving to buy other home out of NY once I retire , own a home now ( going to keep , leave NY once retired , rent out and leave to children )  ,etc . I say all that to say , I can’t house hack , fha Loan route . I looked into the Brrrr route , seems not to work with 20k-30k ( maybe it’s the market I was looking in STL ) . I looked into turnkey but it seems like $$ isn’t enough . Maybe I’m looking into wrong market(s) . 

Sorry for being long winded lol . But had to give context . So ultimately, if you were in my shoes and 20k-30k ( total cost , not just down payment $ ) . Is there a market I can realistically make it happen with the money ? I’m new , so far I haven’t seen a market that it can . Any direction will help ? Thanks for reading . 


5Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Crystal SmithPro Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y
Quote from @Leo Previllon:

Hello all . Peace and blessings . The ultimate question is what can I do realistically do you 20-30 k cash in real estate ? Creative answers , advice in real estate , which markets please answers .

Some context ,  in my mid 20s I opened a bank account and had very little money amount taken out of my paycheck every 2weeks . Little to the point I didn’t even notice and forgot I even had the account . My thinking for opening the account was , when I retire , I’m buy a nice car cash as a retirement gift to myself . I know a 20 year old mindset lol . Now in my early 40s , now I’m close to retirement from my city ( NYC ) job , I really don’t care about material things anymore . Especially after this pandemic and losing so many people to it , I really just don’t care and making every decision for my family , not myself . I have a pension coming ( but plan on leaving all of it to children ) , as I’m retiring young and can work somewhere else , have a 401k ( again plan on leaving to children and going to rollover once I retire ) , me and wife been saving to buy other home out of NY once I retire , own a home now ( going to keep , leave NY once retired , rent out and leave to children )  ,etc . I say all that to say , I can’t house hack , fha Loan route . I looked into the Brrrr route , seems not to work with 20k-30k ( maybe it’s the market I was looking in STL ) . I looked into turnkey but it seems like $$ isn’t enough . Maybe I’m looking into wrong market(s) . 

Sorry for being long winded lol . But had to give context . So ultimately, if you were in my shoes and 20k-30k ( total cost , not just down payment $ ) . Is there a market I can realistically make it happen with the money ? I’m new , so far I haven’t seen a market that it can . Any direction will help ? Thanks for reading . 



Thanks for providing the details and some context. Before giving you a response on the $20k-$30K let's talk about your 401K. One of the ways my partner built his portfolio was to role his large 401K into a Self Directed IRA. He then used the Self Directed IRA to purchase real estate, partner on deals and lend $. All of the profits going back to the Self Directed IRA tax free. Research how you may be able to roll your 401K into a Self Directed IRA. You can still invest in stocks/bonds,...... but you'll also be able to invest in Real Estate.

Regarding the $20K to $30K- You'll have to look outside of the East Coast & venture to the MidWest, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Memphis,.... Pick a city, develop a network then look for a deal you can do on your own or with partners.  My opinion- You need more capital before starting to accumulate properties to buy and hold, so get approved for a Fix & Flip Loan on your own or with partners and look for a lipstick fix and flip. (Lipstick- Paint, carpet,.... nothing major). They are hard to find but once you find one, & turn it quickly, you'll have more capital.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicagoland · Member since 2018 · 314 posts · 199 votes
    4y

    Hi, welcome to BP! I would look into being a silent partner as part of a syndication, or expanding your range. Have you thought about out of state investing?

    You can't BRRRR that well with only 30k, but you may be able to put a down payment on a smaller single family home in an up and coming NYC suburb. I am not that familiar with NYC's market, so that may not be a solution. A conventional loan would be the way to go if you pursue that. I wouldn't recommend private money for your first deal. Good luck with your journey, and say hi if you're in the Chicago area!

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Forrest Williams:

    Hi, welcome to BP! I would look into being a silent partner as part of a syndication, or expanding your range. Have you thought about out of state investing?

    You can't BRRRR that well with only 30k, but you may be able to put a down payment on a smaller single family home in an up and coming NYC suburb. I am not that familiar with NYC's market, so that may not be a solution. A conventional loan would be the way to go if you pursue that. I wouldn't recommend private money for your first deal. Good luck with your journey, and say hi if you're in the Chicago area!

    @Forrest Williams

    @Forrest Williams , thank you for the reply . Love Chicago , my second favorite city to NY lol . Actually meet my wife there . Yes I looked into both . More into out of state investing . I tried , still looking into ST Louis , where my wife family is from , but 20k-30k seems nowadays not to do much unless FHA . Any market where 20-30 k can ? I'm willing to invest anywhere with that money but not ( D and/or F neighborhood) . The goal is to buy and hold , to either leave for children , or to sell down the line if the market appreciates .

    And with the syndication , is there any that you recommend? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Leo Previllon

    Perhaps buy a STR? I understand there is a 10% down program for STRs assuming you live in the property for a certain number of days per year.

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul De Luca:

    @Leo Previllon

    Perhaps buy a STR? I understand there is a 10% down program for STRs assuming you live in the property for a certain number of days per year.

     @Paul De Luca .. thanks for reply . Live in I can't do . But I'm willing to buy a STR if the money can cover 20% plus fees and be rent ready . Ultimately don't which market ? Where that is possible . Any suggestions? Upcoming or just a stable market ? Been reading a lot what people say . Do the research and it's homes available around 60-100k but definitely not rent ready . If they are , using cash buyers are what they're looking for , not me coming in with a conventional loan .

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicagoland · Member since 2018 · 314 posts · 199 votes
    4y

    Try to find some local real estate meetups where you can meet other investors. Do some research, get to know them, and you can make the right decision about who to invest with. The market is pretty competitive right now. If you feel like taking on some risk, there are still deals to be had but they aren't going to be in A neighborhoods.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    You can do a 10% down second home loan to be used as a short term rental. I'd look in a smaller market - something like small towns around Shenandoah National Park (Front Royal, Luray, Stanley, VA - for example) have properties under 200k that would cash flow well. There are some core competencies necessary for running a short term rental though. You're in the hospitality business, not just a real estate investor. It's not for everyone, but it is certainly a lucrative business. There is an up front cost to furnishing and renovations (if needed) as well. That market is one random example, but look for smaller towns near big attractions like National Parks. Another example is New River Gorge in West Virginia. It recently got its National Park status and had 1.68M visitors to the park last year. I am not familiar with any of the small towns in the area, but that may be worth taking a closer look. STR regulations tend to be more flexible in those smaller towns as well. You have to be confident in your ability as a STR operator to pull the trigger on this though. Be self aware on that front. Good luck and hope that helps!

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Forrest Williams:

    Try to find some local real estate meetups where you can meet other investors. Do some research, get to know them, and you can make the right decision about who to invest with. The market is pretty competitive right now. If you feel like taking on some risk, there are still deals to be had but they aren't going to be in A neighborhoods.

     @Forrest Williams .. thank you will do .

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Travis Timmons:

    You can do a 10% down second home loan to be used as a short term rental. I'd look in a smaller market - something like small towns around Shenandoah National Park (Front Royal, Luray, Stanley, VA - for example) have properties under 200k that would cash flow well. There are some core competencies necessary for running a short term rental though. You're in the hospitality business, not just a real estate investor. It's not for everyone, but it is certainly a lucrative business. There is an up front cost to furnishing and renovations (if needed) as well. That market is one random example, but look for smaller towns near big attractions like National Parks. Another example is New River Gorge in West Virginia. It recently got its National Park status and had 1.68M visitors to the park last year. I am not familiar with any of the small towns in the area, but that may be worth taking a closer look. STR regulations tend to be more flexible in those smaller towns as well. You have to be confident in your ability as a STR operator to pull the trigger on this though. Be self aware on that front. Good luck and hope that helps!

     @Travis Timmons .. thank you . I like this idea . I've though about STR and I have a pretty easy going , accommodating personality. Also the research analytical gem you just provided is outstanding. Appreciate the knowledge and the direction .

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Leo Previllon:

    Hello all . Peace and blessings . The ultimate question is what can I do realistically do you 20-30 k cash in real estate ? Creative answers , advice in real estate , which markets please answers .

    Some context ,  in my mid 20s I opened a bank account and had very little money amount taken out of my paycheck every 2weeks . Little to the point I didn’t even notice and forgot I even had the account . My thinking for opening the account was , when I retire , I’m buy a nice car cash as a retirement gift to myself . I know a 20 year old mindset lol . Now in my early 40s , now I’m close to retirement from my city ( NYC ) job , I really don’t care about material things anymore . Especially after this pandemic and losing so many people to it , I really just don’t care and making every decision for my family , not myself . I have a pension coming ( but plan on leaving all of it to children ) , as I’m retiring young and can work somewhere else , have a 401k ( again plan on leaving to children and going to rollover once I retire ) , me and wife been saving to buy other home out of NY once I retire , own a home now ( going to keep , leave NY once retired , rent out and leave to children )  ,etc . I say all that to say , I can’t house hack , fha Loan route . I looked into the Brrrr route , seems not to work with 20k-30k ( maybe it’s the market I was looking in STL ) . I looked into turnkey but it seems like $$ isn’t enough . Maybe I’m looking into wrong market(s) . 

    Sorry for being long winded lol . But had to give context . So ultimately, if you were in my shoes and 20k-30k ( total cost , not just down payment $ ) . Is there a market I can realistically make it happen with the money ? I’m new , so far I haven’t seen a market that it can . Any direction will help ? Thanks for reading . 



    Thanks for providing the details and some context. Before giving you a response on the $20k-$30K let's talk about your 401K. One of the ways my partner built his portfolio was to role his large 401K into a Self Directed IRA. He then used the Self Directed IRA to purchase real estate, partner on deals and lend $. All of the profits going back to the Self Directed IRA tax free. Research how you may be able to roll your 401K into a Self Directed IRA. You can still invest in stocks/bonds,...... but you'll also be able to invest in Real Estate.

    Regarding the $20K to $30K- You'll have to look outside of the East Coast & venture to the MidWest, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Memphis,.... Pick a city, develop a network then look for a deal you can do on your own or with partners.  My opinion- You need more capital before starting to accumulate properties to buy and hold, so get approved for a Fix & Flip Loan on your own or with partners and look for a lipstick fix and flip. (Lipstick- Paint, carpet,.... nothing major). They are hard to find but once you find one, & turn it quickly, you'll have more capital.

  • James KonvalinkaBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    Have you looked into Milwaukee? There are some good SFH or duplexes you could get for around $70k - $100k that cash flow pretty well. You could use a normal conventional loan with a 20% - 25% down payment and just purchase as a buy and hold.

    You can also get creative and see if you can find a money partner to invest with you and cover any purchase price or rehab costs if you wanted to BRRRR something. You could use your money to purchase the property and then bring in private money to fund the rehabs and pay them back once your refinance. There are tons of options that could be available to you but you may have to get a little creative. It really also depends on your comfortability level and how risk tolerant you are. If you are looking to scale quicker you will most likely end up bringing on hard or private money as you grow anyway so it might be worth while looking into it right away.

    Either way good luck with your search!

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Crystal Smith:
    Quote from @Leo Previllon:

    Hello all . Peace and blessings . The ultimate question is what can I do realistically do you 20-30 k cash in real estate ? Creative answers , advice in real estate , which markets please answers .

    Some context ,  in my mid 20s I opened a bank account and had very little money amount taken out of my paycheck every 2weeks . Little to the point I didn’t even notice and forgot I even had the account . My thinking for opening the account was , when I retire , I’m buy a nice car cash as a retirement gift to myself . I know a 20 year old mindset lol . Now in my early 40s , now I’m close to retirement from my city ( NYC ) job , I really don’t care about material things anymore . Especially after this pandemic and losing so many people to it , I really just don’t care and making every decision for my family , not myself . I have a pension coming ( but plan on leaving all of it to children ) , as I’m retiring young and can work somewhere else , have a 401k ( again plan on leaving to children and going to rollover once I retire ) , me and wife been saving to buy other home out of NY once I retire , own a home now ( going to keep , leave NY once retired , rent out and leave to children )  ,etc . I say all that to say , I can’t house hack , fha Loan route . I looked into the Brrrr route , seems not to work with 20k-30k ( maybe it’s the market I was looking in STL ) . I looked into turnkey but it seems like $$ isn’t enough . Maybe I’m looking into wrong market(s) . 

    Sorry for being long winded lol . But had to give context . So ultimately, if you were in my shoes and 20k-30k ( total cost , not just down payment $ ) . Is there a market I can realistically make it happen with the money ? I’m new , so far I haven’t seen a market that it can . Any direction will help ? Thanks for reading . 



    Thanks for providing the details and some context. Before giving you a response on the $20k-$30K let's talk about your 401K. One of the ways my partner built his portfolio was to role his large 401K into a Self Directed IRA. He then used the Self Directed IRA to purchase real estate, partner on deals and lend $. All of the profits going back to the Self Directed IRA tax free. Research how you may be able to roll your 401K into a Self Directed IRA. You can still invest in stocks/bonds,...... but you'll also be able to invest in Real Estate.

    Regarding the $20K to $30K- You'll have to look outside of the East Coast & venture to the MidWest, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Memphis,.... Pick a city, develop a network then look for a deal you can do on your own or with partners.  My opinion- You need more capital before starting to accumulate properties to buy and hold, so get approved for a Fix & Flip Loan on your own or with partners and look for a lipstick fix and flip. (Lipstick- Paint, carpet,.... nothing major). They are hard to find but once you find one, & turn it quickly, you'll have more capital.

     @Crystal Smith . Thank you for reply and great advice . My 401k is good , could be better . The great thing about my situation is being able to retire from my city job young age ( 43 ), I have 18months to go . I can start a new career / job and still be relative young . I plan on working until 65 . So my pension , I plan on literally not using a cent of it on daily expenses . Excuse me , if my terminology is off , but I'm going to rollover my 401k into a self directed IRA . Then fund the new Self directed IRA with pension checks . I'm also Monday going to look if I can do it now , instead of when I retire . I have a lot of things automated that comes right out my check . MY new job can fund daily expenses , real estate endeavors, retirement after 65 . I've also been a good saver even better now since C-19 and have become super discipline on spending habits . Not so much of a great investor tho and money could've been spent better , into better investment tools . For example why I have 26k now to be exact , sitting in an account because I had them taking $50 out of my check for the last 18 years , to originally buy a nice car when I retire . But Don't care about that now . When I could've used that $50 every two weeks in another investment tool ( ie stocks ) and would've probably had way more than 26k .

    So all that to say , sorry sometimes long winded lol , to say I’m ok in certain areas . And I see it like , I just found 20-30k , what would you do with it , if you where in my shoes . 

    I will look more into the Midwest market tho . STL is where I've started but 20k-30k without being able to do FHA definitely isn't enough . Thank you again so much for your advice .

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Find out how much you can borrow and use the $20-30K for a down payment.

  • Homeowner · Danvers, MA · Member since 2021 · 30 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    Love this question because I’m in a similar boat. Thank you to all who left advice!

  • Rental Property Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2022 · 40 posts · 24 votes
    4y

    Hi Leo, good luck on your search! I'm new to this world as well, just started searching a couple weeks ago, but there are a LOT of areas in the midwest and south with properties under $100K that are cashflow positive, hitting above at or a bit above the 1% rule. I'm still a ways from picking the market I want to be in, but I've looked in OH, IA, GA, AL, TX and a few other states and have found a number of promising locations, especially if you look outside of the major cities. I haven't dug in deep yet, so it is possible they have terrible crime problems, or something else that will make it less interesting, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised. For the most part it's nothing mind blowing, but I think as Rookies we shouldn't expect too much in our first deals, but the opportunities seem to be out there!

  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Hi @Leo Previllon and @Nico Dandini. Especially if you’re going to have time on your hands when you retire, I recommend going for a lease option sandwich or also known as “subject-to”strategy. This will allow you to pick up pre-foreclosed or distressed homes with little to no money down that you turn around and lease to someone else for a profit. You can look for a book from Chris Prefontaine called “Real Estate on Your Terms” to learn more. Good luck!  

  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2021 · 567 posts · 127 votes
    4y

    You can do what I did, I found an investor with a great deal and invested the 20k with him for a profit share. We ended up doing 6 deals together. Now I have a lot more than 20K.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.