Factors to consider when buying properties in Tampa FL?

Factors to consider when buying properties in Tampa FL?

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 42 votes

Hi everyone,

I am trying to understand more about the cost of investment in Tampa FL. From research, I have gathered the following information. I would like to understand more from experts in the forum if my understanding is correct and what I am missing.

Other than the monthly mortgage, I have to consider the following costs.

  • Property tax: it is likely to be around 2%. If I use 2% in my calculation, would this be a safe bet? Or I should increase it further to 2.1% or more?
  • Home insurance: maybe a safe number would be $300 per month.
    • If in the flood zone, need to add $100 per month flood insurance on top of it.
    • No insurance would be given if the roof is more than 10 years old?
    • 4 points: HVAC, Electric, plumbing, roof: need to be relative new and in good shape
  • CDD – added cost - how much per month? 
  • HOA: added cost
  • Property management fee: 10%
  • Capex: 10%
  • Maintenance: 10%

Anything else?

Thanks,

Jin

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Hey @Jin Zhang I'm not sure if its a specific thing to Tampa, but I've heard from other investors in FL that apparently septic tank, even in a populated area is common...and they ran into some issues with theirs and it was quite costly to figure out a solution.  Ended up not braking the deal or anything, but its something that is on his checklist now for other properties in the state.

  • Investor · Nutley, NJ · Member since 2017 · 72 posts · 56 votes
    4y

    Don't forget vacancy rate of around 5-10%.  Census.gov can help you find vacancy rate for Tampa

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.