Best Loan Option-100% Equity-Good Credit-High DTI

Best Loan Option-100% Equity-Good Credit-High DTI

Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I'm now 61 - My dad passed a few yeas ago and my plan was to invest my inheritance into real estate so I bought my dream home with cash ($395K)  which has already increased in value and is now assessed at $489K. 

My plan was to basically live off the balance of my inheritance, and then ultimately the equity in my home...eventually doing a reverse mortgage. However, the "rest of" my inheritance lasted just a few years, I had medical issues and eventually was forced to stop working and collect SS disability (a whopping $1800 a month). So my NEW plan is to take out a $100K HELOC and then in 3-5 years do the reverse mortgage, pay the HELOC right off the top and that's it.

I have about $2000 in credit card debt, no mortgage, just an HOA of $527/month and my annual taxes are 5200. My credit score is 714 and I have 100% equity in my home and I've been turned down by two credit unions citing my high DTI. Of course it's high if your going to include the monthly interest payment on $100K to my debt! Clearly I am using the HELOC to supplement my income, clearly I'll be using those funds to pay the interest on whatever I do use - which will never be $100K...HELP PLEASE...Do I keep trying? Do I try a Cash out Loan? I have no idea what to do. I really thought I was in a good place..(I sold my car to get to this place debt and credit score-wise....so there's that too..) Anyone have any suggestions?

0Reply
24 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    Sell the house, fix everything with the proceeds, then start over again.

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Selling is the LAST thing I want to do.  I'd settle for $50K just to get me to 62 and just do the reverse mortgage then.  it may be a great time to sell, but conversely it's a bad time to buy..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.