4-Plex in a trailer park throwing me for a curve ball

4-Plex in a trailer park throwing me for a curve ball

Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hey all can you help me analysis this 4 plex. Just drove past the property and now i'm confused as its located inside a trailer park.  I think its over priced but looking for ways to make it work.

Listed at $720k.

Long term tenants. 2-7 years 

Rentals are $900 $950 $1200 $1300. 

Average rentals in the area come back around $1400-$1700. 

Property last sold in 2021 for $425k

Property taxes $1300.00

Being in a trailer park im not sure what I will be able to get for it for the rentals. 

Seller is also listing agent. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this deal work?

Located in NC

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Central Virginia · Member since 2020 · 393 posts · 253 votes
3y

Hi, Based on the information you provided, I see this as a negative cash flowing property at this price. After debt servicing I only see 442 which will be eaten up by capex and repairs @5% each. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Central Virginia · Member since 2020 · 393 posts · 253 votes
    3y

    Hi, Based on the information you provided, I see this as a negative cash flowing property at this price. After debt servicing I only see 442 which will be eaten up by capex and repairs @5% each. 

  • New to Real Estate · Sunnyvale CA and Maplewood, NJ · Member since 2022 · 257 posts · 161 votes
    3y

    What are the lot rents? If it’s in a mobile home park that number is an additional strike against the cash flow.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Alexander Glasser If the seller is also the listing agent, I'd bring up this information to their attention. It looks like they're trying to make more money than the property may be worth. In my opinion, they should be trying to convince you to buy the property by proving their figures are in line with the property value. If not, then there's a lot of room for negotiation. 

    To be honest, it may take some time. The best thing to do is keep the door open and maintain the relationship. Check in every now and then to see if they're willing to work with you and negotiate the price and/or work with the terms (possible seller financing). In my experience, I've found that time passing has a way of changing sellers' minds as long as you stay in contact. 

    Hope that helps! 

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Webb:

    Hi, Based on the information you provided, I see this as a negative cash flowing property at this price. After debt servicing I only see 442 which will be eaten up by capex and repairs @5% each. 

    If I was able to seller finance this deal with no money down. Where would you feel comfortable with the price? The idea I had was to get a conventional loan through my lender. Get the difference in loan and asking price from private money temporarily. Which would be the seller financing portion. As we close on the deal, the private money would go into a second escrow account  which would never hit the sellers bank account and would go back to me. I would then pay off the private money, and have a note with the seller for that amount or even more. 

    For example. I would get a 500k conventional loan and make up the remainder for 220k with a private party. The 220k would be seller financed after we close. The 220k would go into a second escrow and be distributed to me and I would then pay the private lender off and have a note with the seller for 220k. Maybe I can get a note with the seller for more to cover all fees ect. This way I have no money into the deal. 

    thoughts on this approach? If I can get rents up to 1400 each in the first year would this still be a bad deal? 

  • Investor · Central Virginia · Member since 2020 · 393 posts · 253 votes
    3y

    Hi @Alexander Glasser, that sounds great! if you have no money in a deal then any cash flow is positive. 2 things, 1, what rates would you get? I assume 7ish for the conventional and you could even do a 1% interest-only loan for the seller carry. This will lower your financing costs which will increase your monthly cash flow.

    2. Have you talked with the seller about this? I had a seller agree to carry 40% for a deal I was working on and it was tough to get them to agree to 2nd position. I see this as the only hurdle. Do the leg work and keep us posted. 

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Webb:

    Hi @Alexander Glasser, that sounds great! if you have no money in a deal then any cash flow is positive. 2 things, 1, what rates would you get? I assume 7ish for the conventional and you could even do a 1% interest-only loan for the seller carry. This will lower your financing costs which will increase your monthly cash flow.

    2. Have you talked with the seller about this? I had a seller agree to carry 40% for a deal I was working on and it was tough to get them to agree to 2nd position. I see this as the only hurdle. Do the leg work and keep us posted. 

    I am closing on my personal home on the 17th of this month. I got a 5.99% 30 year. So I assume somewhere around there. 

    I will work on getting the seller to carry but if I were to do this deal how I am thinking of structuring it. Do you still think the 720k is too high? I am having a hard time running the numbers with the two rates. This would be my first time trying to do a seller finance this way.  Any help on this would be appreciated. 


  • Investor · Central Virginia · Member since 2020 · 393 posts · 253 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alexander Glasser:
    Quote from @Chris Webb:

    Hi @Alexander Glasser, that sounds great! if you have no money in a deal then any cash flow is positive. 2 things, 1, what rates would you get? I assume 7ish for the conventional and you could even do a 1% interest-only loan for the seller carry. This will lower your financing costs which will increase your monthly cash flow.

    2. Have you talked with the seller about this? I had a seller agree to carry 40% for a deal I was working on and it was tough to get them to agree to 2nd position. I see this as the only hurdle. Do the leg work and keep us posted. 

    I am closing on my personal home on the 17th of this month. I got a 5.99% 30 year. So I assume somewhere around there. 

    I will work on getting the seller to carry but if I were to do this deal how I am thinking of structuring it. Do you still think the 720k is too high? I am having a hard time running the numbers with the two rates. This would be my first time trying to do a seller finance this way.  Any help on this would be appreciated. 


     I would talk with a lender to firm up your costs. What is the rate and the monthly payment for the first, for example with my deal it was going to be 7.5% for 200K and the monthly payment for loan one was 1427.86. The interest-only 2nd was 266 per month. This gave me a debt service total of 1693.86. Prop Man, Vac, and Repairs cost 880 monthly for a total monthly cost of 2573ish. The expected rents were 4400 so the monthly cash flow, initially, was 1827. You have to be sure that the cash flow covers all the costs monthly first and then work back from there. Separate out the rates and just add them in as inputs into the cost category. You would first need to find a lender who is comfortable with this type of transaction and can assist you with the closing.

    One last thing, you mention that you are getting 5.99 on your personal home. Owner Occupied loans are generally lower than investments. Just keep an eye on investment loan rates, even from conventional lenders.

    Chris
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.