Are one bathroom properties worth it?

Are one bathroom properties worth it?

Miami Lakes 路 Member since 2023 路 9 posts 路 9 votes

Hello,

I am sure there are a number of people having great success with single bathroom homes. However, I often see very attractive deals but they are 3,1 or 2,1. I am starting to think that multiple bedrooms with a single bathroom are not as attractive to renters and buyers. I suppose that my question is that it seems that these deals seem a lot less desirable than 2 bathroom homes for rentals and flips. Would my assumption be correct? Thank You

5Reply
87 views

Most Popular Reply

Andy WebbPro Member
Rental Property Investor 路 Carrollton, TX 路 Member since 2013 路 750 posts 路 538 votes
3y

One bath works just fine in some markets - who are your clientele?  Not big families, then probably not an issue.

Also, we have added baths in the past - depending on the configuration of the property you may be able to find places to add a half bath or convert a half bath to a full bath.  This both adds value and widens your potential renter pool.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2019 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Pedro Garcia absolutely.

  • Member since 2022 路 4 posts 路 0 votes
    3y

    depends on the situation, I have had a lot of success though with 1 bedrooms, especially for college housing 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Miami 路 Member since 2022 路 247 posts 路 75 votes
    3y

    In Miami dade our doors 1/1 2/1 they fly... 

    3/1 I would look for the potential to add a bathroom...

    then you have a duplex 2 to 2/1  2200$ no problem

    keep going study the rents talk to a friendly investor realtor.


    good luck

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Member since 2020 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y

    I would think a 1/1 or 2/1 would make sense but much beyond that could be problematic.  You are getting a deal because there are fewer people who want to buy it, this should also convert to fewer people wanting to rent it.  If my shower goes out and needs repair or a toilet is clogged as others have said I try to fix it right away but until then just use the other one.  If it is the only one an inconvenience becomes an emergency which is not a situation I want to be in.  In my area the homes that have 1 bath are not in the areas I want to be involved in and are mostly c class rentals.  Plenty of people make it work but not for me. 

  • Investor 路 Miami, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 198 posts 路 65 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Pedro Garcia:

    Hello,

    I am sure there are a number of people having great success with single bathroom homes. However, I often see very attractive deals but they are 3,1 or 2,1. I am starting to think that multiple bedrooms with a single bathroom are not as attractive to renters and buyers. I suppose that my question is that it seems that these deals seem a lot less desirable than 2 bathroom homes for rentals and flips. Would my assumption be correct? Thank You

    My biggest deal had one bathroom in Miami. I currently have two 3/1's I am rehabbing, at the right price anything moves down here.


  • Real Estate Agent 路 Columbus, OH 路 Member since 2016 路 593 posts 路 664 votes
    3y

    For my properties in Columbus OH I've never seen much distaste in my 1 bath properties. I think 4 bedrooms would be on the extreme end but anything with 1-3 bedrooms is a go for me. Standards might be different in the Miami area although

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Columbus, OH 路 Member since 2017 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Pedro Garcia:

    Hello,

    I am sure there are a number of people having great success with single bathroom homes. However, I often see very attractive deals but they are 3,1 or 2,1. I am starting to think that multiple bedrooms with a single bathroom are not as attractive to renters and buyers. I suppose that my question is that it seems that these deals seem a lot less desirable than 2 bathroom homes for rentals and flips. Would my assumption be correct? Thank You


     Hey Pedro, I'd say it's on a case to case basis. Some investors are looking for lower bath counts so they could add one themselves. This way you'll boost the equity value and increase the rents.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Boston, Massachusetts (MA) 路 Member since 2016 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    3y

    adding a bath to a 3 bed, or even a half bath is probably one of the biggest value adds there is. More rents, more likely to exit to an owner occupant with accompanying higher prices....

  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Columbus, OH 路 Member since 2020 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    3y

    As some of the others said I think it depends on the strategy. It might not matter as much for a STR but for a long term rental it might affect it a little more if people are going to be living there full-time @Pedro Garcia

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.