Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 12 votes
I am 23 and am currently looking to buy my first house (small multifamily property) in the Pittsburgh area. I also plan to use an FHA loan. The problem I am having is that most of the small multifamily properties in my area are in neighborhoods that I would rather not live or invest in. Is there somewhere in Pittsburgh or the surrounding area that may have better options for me? Thanks!
Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 850 posts · 646 votes
3y
@Davin Manfredi best way to get started. That's how I started and have been house hacking ever since, 6 total at this point haha. Pretty much every neighborhood has 2-4 units, even the higher end ones. Typically for house hacks B class areas will be your best bet. Nice happy medium between numbers making sense and being a decent area to live in. In and around the city think areas like (not an exhaustive list) Avalon, Bellevue, Brighton Heights, Brookline, Beechview, Mt. Washington, Crafton, Ingram, Millvale, Troy Hill, South Side, Dormont, Carnegie, Brentwood, Greenfield, Etna, Sharpsburg, West View, Coraopolis, Munhall, Swissvale, Bridgeville, Verona. Trick with house hacks is figuring out where you want to be when it comes to comfortability versus profit. What is more comfortable of a living situation will likely bring less profit. Less comfortable, more profit. That will vary for everyone but most end up in the middle.
Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 7 votes
3y
Hey Davin! While I don't have an intimate knowledge of the Pittsburgh area, I've been lurking the listings for quite some time. I've been working with Jeremy Taggart and Liam Tennies. They've been helpful in my search and have provided direction on areas of interest based on my criteria. Consider reaching out to them and see if they can help you out. Best of luck!
Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 850 posts · 646 votes
3y
@Davin Manfredi best way to get started. That's how I started and have been house hacking ever since, 6 total at this point haha. Pretty much every neighborhood has 2-4 units, even the higher end ones. Typically for house hacks B class areas will be your best bet. Nice happy medium between numbers making sense and being a decent area to live in. In and around the city think areas like (not an exhaustive list) Avalon, Bellevue, Brighton Heights, Brookline, Beechview, Mt. Washington, Crafton, Ingram, Millvale, Troy Hill, South Side, Dormont, Carnegie, Brentwood, Greenfield, Etna, Sharpsburg, West View, Coraopolis, Munhall, Swissvale, Bridgeville, Verona. Trick with house hacks is figuring out where you want to be when it comes to comfortability versus profit. What is more comfortable of a living situation will likely bring less profit. Less comfortable, more profit. That will vary for everyone but most end up in the middle.
Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 16 votes
3y
@Davin Manfredi where are you located that you don't like the areas? And what are you looking for? The South Side seems like a great area to house hack if you want to party with your tenants. Plenty of multis and good potential for cash flow.
Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 822 posts · 255 votes
3y
I've been working in the area for over 21 years and have helped many in and out of state investors find and purchase small multiunits. There are many nice and fairly priced neighborhoods. Perhaps we should have a conversation?
I am 23 and am currently looking to buy my first house (small multifamily property) in the Pittsburgh area. I also plan to use an FHA loan. The problem I am having is that most of the small multifamily properties in my area are in neighborhoods that I would rather not live or invest in. Is there somewhere in Pittsburgh or the surrounding area that may have better options for me? Thanks!
What are you looking for in an area?
I have house hacked in dormont for almost 10 years now (finally moved on to a single family here also) and it’s been great for me, but it all depends what you are looking for in a neighborhood/place.
Would be happy to talk if you have any questions. I have over 100 units in Pittsburgh now, but just kept house hacking as long as I could because you save so much money.
Real Estate Agent · Cranberry Twp · Member since 2017 · 385 posts · 198 votes
3y
Hi Davin,
I think the guys have done a great job giving you some insight. I agree with a lot of the areas Jeremy spoke of. I've had a lot of investors house hacking in those areas and also using FHA loans. Are you trying to be within a certain distance from any particular location for work or schooling?