HI,
I am currently living in Long Island, NY (and I hate it here). I was going to buy a condo in Miami (I used to live there and would love to move back) but since realized its just not a good investment move to buy a condo in Miami and cant afford to buy something that would give me some kind of return). So now I think it will be smart to buy a multifamily somewhere and would like to house hack and rent the other unit(s) as MTR, so I am considering somewhere near a hospital and have seen OH come up as potentially a good area for cash flow so have looked at Cincinnati and Cleveland. I can afford around $200-250k. My question is, if you were starting from scratch and could go anywhere, where would it be?
Appreciate any advice! :)
HI,
I am currently living in Long Island, NY (and I hate it here). I was going to buy a condo in Miami (I used to live there and would love to move back) but since realized its just not a good investment move to buy a condo in Miami and cant afford to buy something that would give me some kind of return). So now I think it will be smart to buy a multifamily somewhere and would like to house hack and rent the other unit(s) as MTR, so I am considering somewhere near a hospital and have seen OH come up as potentially a good area for cash flow so have looked at Cincinnati and Cleveland. I can afford around $200-250k. My question is, if you were starting from scratch and could go anywhere, where would it be?
Appreciate any advice! :)
This would generally depend on what you're after. Are you looking for appreciation or cashflow? If cashflow is what you're after, I would highly recommend Cleveland. The cash flow is king up there, however appreciation is lacking and seems to be along with the US national average. Whereas cities like Columbus have some cash flow, but tons of appreciation!
As a house hack, you need to owner occupy so it really comes down to where do YOU want to live that is affordable and makes sense for a first investment. Sounds like you need to spend some time in the car traveling to some of these destinations and making a choice. There are projects all over the country that people make work. Find the place you want to live, then deep dive into the local market and find a project that matches your goals.
$200-250k doesn't buy much multifamily in most markets so I would encourage you to consider purchasing a single family residence with an ADU (accessory dwelling unit or mother-in-law apartment) as well as small multifamily options.
I know from personal experience that house hacking is a sacrifice so in order to be willing to do it long term, you still need to be comfortable where you are. Single family homes with ADUs are an excellent alternative and I bet your budget would get you much further with an option like that in whatever market you choose!
Good luck!
It's definitely the best way to house hack!
And no, those type of properties are just that, single family residences but with an ADU. Almost all cities (at least in my expiernce) allow ADUs but by owning a single family home, you'll pay less property tax, have more inventory to pick from, be able to acquire the property with just 3-5%, etc. etc.
ABi
My personal opinion House hacking is a starting point for single or young ... It will be back to roommates' situations.
After many years of being a realtor ... Someone introduced me to multifamily. When you learn the numbers, best ways to qualify for financing, you get a business not just a house with roommates, the income is two or three independent apartments and the potential in equity building is 3 times more.
But your budget, you payments is only for one unit still, the rest of the building gets paid by the rent of your tenants.
Simple you get a business you hire a professional manager and your partners (tenants) only participation is to give you capital so you build wealth.
Look for a group, or team that helps you to acquire and manage multifamilies and you will build wealth for you and your family.
The information is here in Bigger pockets...
advice
Information with out action ..... is just information.
good luck
HI,
I am currently living in Long Island, NY (and I hate it here). I was going to buy a condo in Miami (I used to live there and would love to move back) but since realized its just not a good investment move to buy a condo in Miami and cant afford to buy something that would give me some kind of return). So now I think it will be smart to buy a multifamily somewhere and would like to house hack and rent the other unit(s) as MTR, so I am considering somewhere near a hospital and have seen OH come up as potentially a good area for cash flow so have looked at Cincinnati and Cleveland. I can afford around $200-250k. My question is, if you were starting from scratch and could go anywhere, where would it be?
Appreciate any advice! :)
HI,
I am currently living in Long Island, NY (and I hate it here). I was going to buy a condo in Miami (I used to live there and would love to move back) but since realized its just not a good investment move to buy a condo in Miami and cant afford to buy something that would give me some kind of return). So now I think it will be smart to buy a multifamily somewhere and would like to house hack and rent the other unit(s) as MTR, so I am considering somewhere near a hospital and have seen OH come up as potentially a good area for cash flow so have looked at Cincinnati and Cleveland. I can afford around $200-250k. My question is, if you were starting from scratch and could go anywhere, where would it be?
Appreciate any advice! :)
Thanks, I am originally from the UK and have lived in many different places so moving isn't really such a big deal, I have my own business that I work from home so also have time to put in to run real estate as a business. You make a good point about appreciation, of course I want that but its really hard to know where/if thats going to happen in the next few years with the way the economy is. So house hack was really just to offset my living costs to be able to save more really. And yes you can house hack anywhere but you have to be able to afford to buy something that is house hackable. I can only afford a 1 bed condo in Miami (where i want to live) but if I house hack somewhere I can afford a multifamily, it will afford me to be able to travel to Miami (and other places) more often.
The idea for this property is to live in it for 1 year and then buy something else to do the same.
Thanks for your advice!
Hello @Abi Horton,
I moved to Las Vegas from New York City. I understand why you hate it there. I did too.
Assuming you have the freedom to choose any location, below is what I would do.
The first and most important decision to make is to choose a location. The location determines all long-term income characteristics. I would start with Wikipedia's list of metro areas with a population greater than 1 million and apply each of the following elimination filters. Once you have eliminated all locations that do not conform to all the following criteria, you will have a short list of locations to evaluate. The elimination criteria are as follows.
Once you've narrowed the list of locations, the next criteria is the presence of a good local investment team.
Everything you learn from seminars, podcasts, books, and websites is general in nature. You won't be buying a general property in a general location. Instead, you will be purchasing a specific property in a specific location that is subject to specific local rental regulations. The only source of such information is an experienced local investment team that has years of experience. You cannot duplicate what took a team of people years to learn. Plus, working with an experienced investment team costs no more than working with any other realtor.
If I did not find a good local investment team in a location, I would look for another location.
A rental property is no better than the tenant who occupies it. You want your property continuously occupied by what I call a “good” tenant. A good tenant is someone who stays for many years, takes care of the property, and pays all the rent on schedule.
You can find a tenant segment with a high concentration of good tenants by interviewing multiple local property managers. Once you identify a target segment, determine what and where they are renting today.
If your plan is to house hack, it's always wise to have a backup option. In this case, the backup option would be using the property as a long-term rental. Therefore, buy properties similar to what your target segment is currently renting. This way, if you ever decide to change it to a long-term rental, you'll have applicants from your target tenant segment.
When we work with clients who wish to house hack, we usually select properties with four bedrooms and three baths, and a three-car garage. We have standard renovation items, but when we are doing properties that will be used for house hacking, it does change some items. For example, we usually put commercial-grade nylon carpets in bedrooms. For a house hack, I would install LVP to lower turn costs. House hacking requires other small changes to our standard renovation, but not that many.
Making money in real estate is a straightforward process. It starts with selecting the right location because the location determines all long-term income characteristics. Next, select a tenant segment with a high concentration of good tenants. Lastly, select a property similar to what your target tenant segment is renting today. You will want a property that is also suitable for house hacking. For example, a four bedroom, three bath, three car garage property.
Abi, I hope this helped.
Hello @Abi Horton,
I moved to Las Vegas from New York City. I understand why you hate it there. I did too.
Assuming you have the freedom to choose any location, below is what I would do.
The first and most important decision to make is to choose a location. The location determines all long-term income characteristics. I would start with Wikipedia's list of metro areas with a population greater than 1 million and apply each of the following elimination filters. Once you have eliminated all locations that do not conform to all the following criteria, you will have a short list of locations to evaluate. The elimination criteria are as follows.
Once you've narrowed the list of locations, the next criteria is the presence of a good local investment team.
Everything you learn from seminars, podcasts, books, and websites is general in nature. You won't be buying a general property in a general location. Instead, you will be purchasing a specific property in a specific location that is subject to specific local rental regulations. The only source of such information is an experienced local investment team that has years of experience. You cannot duplicate what took a team of people years to learn. Plus, working with an experienced investment team costs no more than working with any other realtor.
If I did not find a good local investment team in a location, I would look for another location.
A rental property is no better than the tenant who occupies it. You want your property continuously occupied by what I call a “good” tenant. A good tenant is someone who stays for many years, takes care of the property, and pays all the rent on schedule.
You can find a tenant segment with a high concentration of good tenants by interviewing multiple local property managers. Once you identify a target segment, determine what and where they are renting today.
If your plan is to house hack, it's always wise to have a backup option. In this case, the backup option would be using the property as a long-term rental. Therefore, buy properties similar to what your target segment is currently renting. This way, if you ever decide to change it to a long-term rental, you'll have applicants from your target tenant segment.
When we work with clients who wish to house hack, we usually select properties with four bedrooms and three baths, and a three-car garage. We have standard renovation items, but when we are doing properties that will be used for house hacking, it does change some items. For example, we usually put commercial-grade nylon carpets in bedrooms. For a house hack, I would install LVP to lower turn costs. House hacking requires other small changes to our standard renovation, but not that many.
Making money in real estate is a straightforward process. It starts with selecting the right location because the location determines all long-term income characteristics. Next, select a tenant segment with a high concentration of good tenants. Lastly, select a property similar to what your target tenant segment is renting today. You will want a property that is also suitable for house hacking. For example, a four bedroom, three bath, three car garage property.
Abi, I hope this helped.
Wow thank you so much for such an in-depth thought out response. This is really helpful! I will certainly be looking at these things! Thank you!