Purchase family house after sister died?

Purchase family house after sister died?

Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 2 votes

Hi folks, 

I recently closed on a duplex in Rochester, NY which I was planning to househack. My plan was to move in June when the lease on my current apartment was up. Unfortunately, my sister died unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago and our family is in NH. She was previously living at my mother's house while my mother is living elsewhere. She left behind three children and I would like to either gain custody or help my mother raise them in our family home. I have a couple of questions on how to best make this happen. To preface this, my duplex assessed at 175k and I purchased it for 152k. My mother's house assessed at approx. 400k but she is willing to sell for 300k. I can only afford about 2,100 in rent, though, which doesn't seem to be enough for this property with today's interest rates. What is the best way for me to handle my duplex and finding a way to move into her house while putting it in my name? Basically: 

1. What do I do with my duplex? I just bought it last month and have not had an opportunity to rehab because it's currently rented out so I'm not optimistic about selling. I was thinking I could fix up the one apartment and keep the current tenant in the other apartment then manage it long distance, but that would deplete my cash flow and possibly cut into my cap ex at the moment. Initially I was going to focus on MTR which would compensate, but I'm not sure how difficult that would be from NH.

2. How do I buy my mother's house since I have just signed on a mortgage? She has only a HELOC, no primary mortgage, but the house needs a lot of work. My goal wouldn't be to flip it, but to add an in law apartment in the basement so both my mother and myself could live there in separate units, one of us with the kids. I don't know much about creative financing but I'm willing to do the research, I mostly need a point in the right direction for this one, I think.

Thank you in advance for your help.

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

And, just when you think there is no SuperMan, here comes Jacob.  How blessed your family is to have you for their hero -  and mine. The world needs more Jacobs.

As for your real estate business, my recommendation would be to not make any big decisions right now, to let things be as they are, and consider the options that come from that strategy.  With the duplex, you have one tenant already, is it possible to rent out the other unit - as is - and cash flow the property (or even break-even)?  Managing properties long-distance is done every day and done so efficiently/profitably.  There are a lot of people here on BP - and I'll offer myself - who can counsel you on that.  As for your mother's house, could she hold a note for now?  Would she quit claim you on the deed while you do a 'rent to own' until things settle down with the children/move and then figure out something else?

I actually think that you can make the WHOLE ENCHILADA work if you can let everything fall into place first.  You're facing a crisis now so start there...give those children that safe place they need now.  Then get your duplex rented - you can do it long-distance.  Talk to your mother about options while you both focus on the family.   It doesn't have to be the perfect long term play for now.  Just hold on and let it be.  

I'm proud of you.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Sorry for your loss. I'd keep the duplex and rent it out as is. If you got it with an FHA loan, explain the situation to your bank as to why you are not living there at the moment (you don't need to tell them it will be for a long time, just that you have to move to take care of family and are still sorting things out which is true).

    Did your sister rent the home from your mom?  If you are both planning on living there, don't do major renos now just make it work. If there is a bedroom in the basement, you don't need to build a suite just share the kitchen upstairs and have family meals together-the kids will appreciate the stability.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    And, just when you think there is no SuperMan, here comes Jacob.  How blessed your family is to have you for their hero -  and mine. The world needs more Jacobs.

    As for your real estate business, my recommendation would be to not make any big decisions right now, to let things be as they are, and consider the options that come from that strategy.  With the duplex, you have one tenant already, is it possible to rent out the other unit - as is - and cash flow the property (or even break-even)?  Managing properties long-distance is done every day and done so efficiently/profitably.  There are a lot of people here on BP - and I'll offer myself - who can counsel you on that.  As for your mother's house, could she hold a note for now?  Would she quit claim you on the deed while you do a 'rent to own' until things settle down with the children/move and then figure out something else?

    I actually think that you can make the WHOLE ENCHILADA work if you can let everything fall into place first.  You're facing a crisis now so start there...give those children that safe place they need now.  Then get your duplex rented - you can do it long-distance.  Talk to your mother about options while you both focus on the family.   It doesn't have to be the perfect long term play for now.  Just hold on and let it be.  

    I'm proud of you.

  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jacob Northfield:

    Hi folks, 

    I recently closed on a duplex in Rochester, NY which I was planning to househack. My plan was to move in June when the lease on my current apartment was up. Unfortunately, my sister died unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago and our family is in NH. She was previously living at my mother's house while my mother is living elsewhere. She left behind three children and I would like to either gain custody or help my mother raise them in our family home. I have a couple of questions on how to best make this happen. To preface this, my duplex assessed at 175k and I purchased it for 152k. My mother's house assessed at approx. 400k but she is willing to sell for 300k. I can only afford about 2,100 in rent, though, which doesn't seem to be enough for this property with today's interest rates. What is the best way for me to handle my duplex and finding a way to move into her house while putting it in my name? Basically: 

    1. What do I do with my duplex? I just bought it last month and have not had an opportunity to rehab because it's currently rented out so I'm not optimistic about selling. I was thinking I could fix up the one apartment and keep the current tenant in the other apartment then manage it long distance, but that would deplete my cash flow and possibly cut into my cap ex at the moment. Initially I was going to focus on MTR which would compensate, but I'm not sure how difficult that would be from NH.

    2. How do I buy my mother's house since I have just signed on a mortgage? She has only a HELOC, no primary mortgage, but the house needs a lot of work. My goal wouldn't be to flip it, but to add an in law apartment in the basement so both my mother and myself could live there in separate units, one of us with the kids. I don't know much about creative financing but I'm willing to do the research, I mostly need a point in the right direction for this one, I think.

    Thank you in advance for your help.


     I'm sorry for your loss.

    If your mom puts you on title then you will own the home with her. Pay the HELOC payment out of your personal account. After 12 months you'll be able to do a cash out refinance with Fannie or Freddie if you qualify. Use the HELOC as best you can to fix up the property.

    I hope this helps and take care.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.