Can I (should I) do a "Subject to" with realtors involved?

Can I (should I) do a "Subject to" with realtors involved?

New to Real Estate · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 5 votes

Here is the context since I know some of the variables might change the answer. I live in Lincoln Nebraska and want to invest here as well. This would be on my first investment property purchase so I would just feel more comfortable with having an agent (who also is an investor) be with me for the ride. I would plan on still paying both realtors there 3% each. I am looking at single and small multi family properties that have been on the MKS for over 3 months. 

0Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Hopedale, MA · Member since 2021 · 321 posts · 212 votes
3y

love where your head is at! creative financing can be hard with realtors involved, because most of them just straight up don't understand it or are worried they won't get their commissions (even if you preface with that). even if YOUR agent gets it, the listing agent may not, so you guys might be in for an uphill battle. creative financing GENERALLY works best for offmarket deals where you get to talk directly with the seller. everyone, don't come for me with your exceptions to this rule, i know they exist lol. but the short answer to your Q is YES you CAN, you may just have a hard time getting the listing agents to pitch your offer. pace morby has a great process for this. pitch, and then wait for the listing to expire, then skip trace and call the owner to see if they even presented it to them. they usually don't. you'd need a good system in place to keep track of everything you have your eye on, and call at the right times, but just thought i'd throw that idea out there!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    Hey! I shot you a PM.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Most realtors do not understand subject to. They would be deadweight in the transaction. I have cut realtors out of every subject to transaction I have done, they make things more complicated. Pay them a commission on the backend and leave them out the deal. Get an experienced title company who handles subject to deals.

  • Investor · Hopedale, MA · Member since 2021 · 321 posts · 212 votes
    3y

    love where your head is at! creative financing can be hard with realtors involved, because most of them just straight up don't understand it or are worried they won't get their commissions (even if you preface with that). even if YOUR agent gets it, the listing agent may not, so you guys might be in for an uphill battle. creative financing GENERALLY works best for offmarket deals where you get to talk directly with the seller. everyone, don't come for me with your exceptions to this rule, i know they exist lol. but the short answer to your Q is YES you CAN, you may just have a hard time getting the listing agents to pitch your offer. pace morby has a great process for this. pitch, and then wait for the listing to expire, then skip trace and call the owner to see if they even presented it to them. they usually don't. you'd need a good system in place to keep track of everything you have your eye on, and call at the right times, but just thought i'd throw that idea out there!

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Alex Kolbo

    try a seller finance deal first

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.