New to REI looking for a mentor on Long Island

New to REI looking for a mentor on Long Island

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I am a 21 year in suffolk county LI interested in REI investing. I am particularly interested in wholesaling and multi-family investing, but I don't know where to start. I am currently in school while working full time to save up my money to invest. I will be starting a real estate course in August to learn more about the field and get my license. I have been reading a few books and browsing the forums on here trying to figure out where to start. Any advice for someone starting out in REI looking for a mentor?

0Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Long Beach, NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    Hi Aidan

    Welcome to BP! It sounds like you are already doing a lot - working, school, reading about real estate investing, and taking your licensing course. There are many different answers to your question, but one practical idea would be to get out there and meet people face to face. Go to meetup.com and checkout the Nassau County REIA and in Suffolk there is the LIREIA. They both meet once a month or more. That could be a way to hear what a variety of people are doing - buy and hold investing, wholesaling, flipping, airbnb, real estate sales, etc. Based on what interests you, you might find ways to learn from or help out someone who is already in one of those businesses. Let me know if I can help. Tyler

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Aidan James Shouler - you're already doing the right things by learning as much as possible. 

    Most "mentors" that you'll find would likely need someone full time to be around them for you to get any kind of value from the experience. 

    There are mentors/coaching you can pay for, but I don't recommend it. 

    Take your time, go to some local meetups, and introduce yourself to your local real estate investors community! 

  • Suzanne PlayerPro Member
    Attorney · New York City / Long Island, NY · Member since 2020 · 597 posts · 248 votes
    3y

    There are a lot of groups that meet in person locally, check the Events & Happenings section on Bigger Pockets, choose Long Island from the drop down menu.  You can also go on Meetup.com & search for groups in the area

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.