Questions about profit after flipping a house

Questions about profit after flipping a house

Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I bought a house using a personal loan. My partner and I flipped it and sold it. We are splitting the profits but he said that I can’t get the money I paid for the house using the personal loan plus the monthly payments I made for the personal loan. I know the case is different when it is a mortgage loan but this was a personal loan. Should I get the money I paid for the house plus the monthly payments made? Thanks 

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Charlottesville Virginia · Member since 2021 · 348 posts · 346 votes
3y

First, I will say that this certainly should have been written in a legal agreement between you and your partner before any money was spent so that everything is 100% clear. 

That being said, yes. Interest on a personal loan should be viewed as an expense, typically referred to as carrying costs. Profit = Sale price - purchase price - rehab costs - carrying costs (loan interest, utilities, etc.) - sale commission. Then you split the profits.  

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Charlottesville Virginia · Member since 2021 · 348 posts · 346 votes
    3y

    First, I will say that this certainly should have been written in a legal agreement between you and your partner before any money was spent so that everything is 100% clear. 

    That being said, yes. Interest on a personal loan should be viewed as an expense, typically referred to as carrying costs. Profit = Sale price - purchase price - rehab costs - carrying costs (loan interest, utilities, etc.) - sale commission. Then you split the profits.  

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Yaritza Rivera Serrano:

    I bought a house using a personal loan. My partner and I flipped it and sold it. We are splitting the profits but he said that I can’t get the money I paid for the house using the personal loan plus the monthly payments I made for the personal loan. I know the case is different when it is a mortgage loan but this was a personal loan. Should I get the money I paid for the house plus the monthly payments made? Thanks 

    Of course, profit less TOTAL expenses, 
  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jacob St. Martin:

    First, I will say that this certainly should have been written in a legal agreement between you and your partner before any money was spent so that everything is 100% clear. 

    That being said, yes. Interest on a personal loan should be viewed as an expense, typically referred to as carrying costs. Profit = Sale price - purchase price - rehab costs - carrying costs (loan interest, utilities, etc.) - sale commission. Then you split the profits.  

    Thanks Mr Martin. To be clear, if I paid 30k for the house using the personal loan and paid  1154 monthly for the personal loan for 10 months, should I get the $11540 plus the amount I paid  for the house? Thanks 
  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Thanks Bob! Should I get back only the interest paid for the personal loan or the total amount of the monthly payment since it was a personal loan? 

  • Investor · Charlottesville Virginia · Member since 2021 · 348 posts · 346 votes
    3y

    Yes you should get the $11,540

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.