Property Manager · Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
Hi All!
I'm sitting for the Massachusetts Salesperson License this month (to be scheduled, classes completed) and looking to join a brokerage part time upon passing the exam.
I'm curious if the BiggerPockets community has any suggestions or recommendations of where to hang my license, or how to decide? Ideally, I'd find a broker/salesperson part of a brokerage who is able to provide mentoring opportunities.
I own/self manage a few units in the Boston suburbs and started a property management business last year. I am obtaining my salesperson license as part of a longer term goal and intend to work as a salesperson part time for the immediate future (W2 job 9-5).
I've met with a few brokers already, but I thought I'd post here as well. Feel free to comment or DM!
Real Estate Professional · Atlanta GA · Member since 2015 · 615 posts · 225 votes
2y
in the beginning its all about how much success you can achieve in terms of action, listings and buyers. its not about how much yo are making. all that will come in time.
having said that, i would go with someone that provides leads and gives you a chance to do activity that makes you money...
Real Estate Professional · Atlanta GA · Member since 2015 · 615 posts · 225 votes
2y
in the beginning its all about how much success you can achieve in terms of action, listings and buyers. its not about how much yo are making. all that will come in time.
having said that, i would go with someone that provides leads and gives you a chance to do activity that makes you money...
Realtor · Providence, RI · Member since 2022 · 404 posts · 262 votes
2y
@Joseph Musi - You could consider personal goals, company culture alignment, and commission structure. Just starting out you could likely benefit from a larger brokerage that has a lot of free training resources; but if you already have a coach, that may not be as important.
Also, what markets do you want to be in and what type of properties do you want to focus on? Based on that take a look at the current listings and see what the top brokerages are.
Hey, Joseph! Nice work on your property management company and soon to be, getting your RE License! I actually got my license over the summer and I am just signing on with a Group after taking my time to research and interview companies.
Hit me up - I found a group who mentors, offers trainings and invests themselves, which was very appealing to me as I could learn that area better!
I can also give you some ideas of how I went about finding the right group for me.
Real Estate Agent · WA · Member since 2021 · 254 posts · 173 votes
2y
Some suggestions to get you started:
- time commitment
- team, company culture, and leadership. Look at the bad. Has anyone left recently? Try to find out if they are as really good as they say they are
- interviews: interview existing members and see what their process was from where they started. Don't set this as your benchmark but just for you to get a feel
- training
- commission structures
At the end of the day, it is important that you stick with someone where you can replicate your success. Since sales usually runs on commission, you want to make sure that you can stay in for the long game as you start picking up the basics. The firm you choose to work with will work against or for you.