Opinions on college town investing?

Opinions on college town investing?

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello! My name is Jake and I'm an aspiring real estate investor. I just created my BiggerPockets account, so I'm looking forward to meeting and interacting with you all! I just finished my first semester at a university in a small town in upstate New York. For a little while now, I've had the idea of beginning my investment journey with SFRs in my town. 

The general outline of my plan is to purchase a property by the summertime, and house-hack it the following school year. The goal would be to purchase one property each year, living in the most recently purchased and renting out all of the leftover units in all the properties to students at the university. Thus, by the end of my senior year, I would have 3 properties fully available to rent, if all goes to plan. Of course, depending on what deals become available, I would definitely consider doing multifamily, but I'd prefer to start with single family unless something jumps out at me.

I've thought about this a lot, and here's a list of the advantages/disadvantages that I've assembled:

Pros:

     - Higher demand during the school year, meaning likely far more consistent vacancy rates (the main reason I thought about this idea at all - I like consistency)

     - If it's a fixer-upper, I'll have the entire summer to work on it as my parents live close to the university, and any remaining work I can do in my free time during the year since I'll be living there (Just a general advantage of house-hacking)

     - Allows me to get my feet wet with investing while still pursuing my degree

Cons:

     - Depending on the area, much higher vacancies than other properties (assuming, of course, the months of June, July, Aug, and Dec will be vacant, so a vacancy rate of 33%)

     - Since it's a small town, there isn't a large supply of homes within walking distance of the university (currently 2 on-market being sold) - although last year's foreclosure auction suggests that that may be an abundant avenue to locate deals

     - This town is notoriously a party town, so rental properties here may be more prone to getting trashed, although this doesn't seem to be an issue in any of the properties currently being rented that I know of, even in the bigger houses that host parties nearly every weekend

I could also consider purchasing properties within ~5 miles of campus, so not walkable, but more than reasonable driving distance, although they will rent for less. But, for example, last year's auction housed a 10-unit property only 3 miles from campus. From the exterior it appeared to need a lot of work, but it was purchased for only $60,000, so depending on the condition of the interior, that could become a great deal. Being that it lies on one of the routes my cross country/track team runs regularly, I will definitely be keeping an eye on the status of that property as a good example of an investment outside of town.

I've also thought a little bit about how I could utilize a 1031 exchange to help me out here, but I'm not super educated on that at the moment (I'm currently in the middle of Turner's rental property investing book, so I should be soon!), so if anyone has any thoughts on that I would love to hear them. I know I didn't really ask anything specific here, but I'm mainly looking to generate a discussion on the topic of investing in college towns, so if anyone has any experience with that, definitely leave a comment, as well as if you have any suggestions for my specific situation. Thank you all!

1Reply
17 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · MN · Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    Hey Jacob!

    I am in a very similar situation as you, so it's cool to see someone who's like-minded. I am currently going to college in Phoenix and I am also looking to possibly invest somewhere in the college area. I have heard that house hacking is one of the best ways to get started, so I think your head is in the right place. I also really like your idea of purchasing one property each year until you have 3 rentable properties. There are always going to be college kids looking for somewhere to live off-campus, so vacancy rates should definitely be consistent during the school year. I don't know much about the area, but maybe you could convert the properties into STRs during the summer to lessen your vacancy rate.

     I am just starting out myself, so I can't give you too much advice, but I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Wes Minks:

    Hey Jacob!

    I am in a very similar situation as you, so it's cool to see someone who's like-minded. I am currently going to college in Phoenix and I am also looking to possibly invest somewhere in the college area. I have heard that house hacking is one of the best ways to get started, so I think your head is in the right place. I also really like your idea of purchasing one property each year until you have 3 rentable properties. There are always going to be college kids looking for somewhere to live off-campus, so vacancy rates should definitely be consistent during the school year. I don't know much about the area, but maybe you could convert the properties into STRs during the summer to lessen your vacancy rate.

     I am just starting out myself, so I can't give you too much advice, but I wish you the best of luck on your journey!


     Thanks for your input! It's also cool to see somebody along the same path. I like your idea of converting to STRs over the summer, I think that's a great idea. Since writing that post I've reached out to a local real estate agent that will be working with me, but of course I'm mainly searching for off-market deals. Best of luck to you!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Jacob Taylor  It is obviously a good market with consistent demand in some areas. Larger university towns you have a better market demand then a small university.  We did it at URI for many years and there are other people on here who consistently rent to students.   Students are a tough crowd, but can pay a premium.  We did not buy in the party area of town, we looked for more serious majors, credit and background checks are less helpful than a social media search.  The one problem I see with your plan is that students look one year for the next so working on it in the summer the house is not going to be show ready or maybe even purchased when students are setting up housing for the next year. Now if you rent by the room it could work in that first year if you have a housing shortage.  

    Things to watch out for unrelated person ordinances, noise ordinances, parking issues. Students partying and getting know as that party house and your neighbors will give you problems. Roommate issues.   Some areas like ours rent furnished in winter to students and in summer to beach goers. Other areas rent year round unfurnished to students and it is the students issue how they pay the summer. In a small town you could just make your price cover the summer. Students are also hard on furnishings so that is something to consider.  Also consider if you are younger not every student is like you, they have never seen a breaker, they don't know how to plunge a toilet. They can't find a switch so the fan must be broken. And you have to deal with parents.   So my review of the lease always included an I am not your parent communication.  Basically saying you are an adult, I expect you to keep the place up, pay on time and hear from you if there is an issue (not your mom/dad or the police). Just hammering home they are signing. For you, it might be I am not your buddy.   You have parents a gaurantors on payment.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.