How to start

How to start

Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 5 votes

Good evening! I am somewhat new to real estate investing. I am fairly familiar with long term rental. My father had 38 long term rentals for almost 30 years and we spoke frequently of them. He sold them all before he passed. Now, I'm interested in starting my own real estate portfolio. I would like ideas on where to begin regarding type of rental I should start with (short term, long term). That will drive the answer to my immediate question, which boot camp should I enroll in first. In order to guide responses, I must say that I am an early retiree with a pension and ample investments so that I don't need monthly cash flow from rentals to live on. Any cash flow will likely be used to further the real estate portfolio. I already purchased a second home for cash which serves as a STR when we are not there and I'm looking to buy something in the next 12 months. So my first questions is, which BP bootcamp should I attend first. I'm tempted to try the BRRRR first because that's what I think I may do but I also think maybe the rookie one. Secondly, what strategy should I pursue in order to primarily build legacy wealth and that may give some cash flow along the way? I hope to stop at a half dozen or so buildings. Thank you in advance for any input you send.

Michael

5Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes
2y

Hey Michael,  first of all I'd encourage you to teach your next generation what you'll be learning. Whether you have kids or nieces/nephews.  It's hard to give advice for which bootcamp / coaching you should do. So I'll tell you what I did. Years ago my first coaching program I did was Robert Kiyosaki's Choose to be Rich. It was a really, really good program for me at the time as it set the foundation for my success. Quick story about it: I had been working with my coach Nicole for about 4 months into a 6 month program when I asked (in a frustrated tone), when will be start working on real estate investing? Her reply was "when you are ready, and you are not ready". BOOM. And she was right.  Longer story on how I got to my second and third programs, but the best one of all was RE Mentor - David Lindahl who teaches on buying multifamily properties. My goal was 50 units in 3 years. In less than 3 years I had 89 units. Two years later I was over 300 units.  It works - when you put in the work.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes
    2y

    Hey Michael,  first of all I'd encourage you to teach your next generation what you'll be learning. Whether you have kids or nieces/nephews.  It's hard to give advice for which bootcamp / coaching you should do. So I'll tell you what I did. Years ago my first coaching program I did was Robert Kiyosaki's Choose to be Rich. It was a really, really good program for me at the time as it set the foundation for my success. Quick story about it: I had been working with my coach Nicole for about 4 months into a 6 month program when I asked (in a frustrated tone), when will be start working on real estate investing? Her reply was "when you are ready, and you are not ready". BOOM. And she was right.  Longer story on how I got to my second and third programs, but the best one of all was RE Mentor - David Lindahl who teaches on buying multifamily properties. My goal was 50 units in 3 years. In less than 3 years I had 89 units. Two years later I was over 300 units.  It works - when you put in the work.

  • New to Real Estate · CA · Member since 2023 · 33 posts · 27 votes
    2y

    Hey Michael, to me it looks like you have a good understanding of the basics, especially since your father had a great experience with real estate, a good idea for you is to have a mentor with where you can do portfolio building based on your goals

  • Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 30 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Hey Michael, to me it looks like you have a good understanding of the basics, especially since your father had a great experience with real estate, a good idea for you is to have a mentor with where you can do portfolio building based on your goals


     I agree with this

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Michael Lee Croxton, since you're based in the Atlanta market, explore the investment strategy of rent-by-the-room. You won't need a course for this. If you're interested, I'd be happy to share additional resources. 

  • Member since 2023 · 35 posts · 50 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Dumler:

    @Michael Lee Croxton, since you're based in the Atlanta market, explore the investment strategy of rent-by-the-room. You won't need a course for this. If you're interested, I'd be happy to share additional resources. 


     sounds like a great option 

  • Evan HoppleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2023 · 284 posts · 420 votes
    2y

    @Michael Lee Croxton 

    Short term rentals are more hands on, depends on how passive you'd like your RE investment to be

    The BRRRR method is a good option for you. Develop your core4 relationships (deal finder/agent, lender, contractor, property manager). Identify any mistakes you made on your first deal to improve on your second

    Reafco Real Estate
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.