Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 3 votes
I know this question has been asked countless times but, here's another one. I've been wanting to get into real estate for a while now, I'm trying to learn as much as possible. What are ways I can get into real estate without actually investing to get experience as I learn. My goal is to get into buy and hold investing.
I'm considering becoming a licensed agent as I see that as being a possible advantage down the road, is this a good idea?
Also, how do I find experienced investors in my area (Houston) that would allow me to maybe watch them find and put together a deal, and I, of course, would be willing to help in any way I can.
Real Estate Investor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2013 · 49 posts · 10 votes
12y
@Olivia Aubry Education on all fronts is the best place to start. You have already taken a step in that direction by joining BiggerPockets. Then you must Take Action!
In my experience, I joined BP toward the end of 2013. I spent a few months listening to all the podcasts and reading everything I could (I was on overload!). I also began networking with other BP folks and local folks. I set a goal for myself that I would do my first deal in January 2014. So when January 1st came around, I focused on finding and acquiring a deal, which I did, and I am now working on my first SFH rehab right now.
For me, figuring out my strategy, and then taking action according to that strategy were the most important steps to getting started. There should be at least one local BP meetup in Houston. Just search BP for the info.
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 443 posts · 174 votes
12y
Becoming a real estate agent is certainly one path to learn the industry. Any job related to real estate would be a good place to start. What I did when I just started is to go on the MLS and start looking at houses in our area to learn your market. Crunch some numbers and see if you can find a deal just for practice. Go knock on doors in an area where you are interested in investing in and become an expert of area rents, house prices, inventory and what other investors are doing.
As far as meeting local investors I have met lots of friends through my local BP meet up which meets once a month. I'm not sure if they have this for Houston but our Dallas chapter is very strong.
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
12y
There is no "best way" but there are are many ways. To enter RE investing without investing time in your education would be comparable to operating a cruise ship without any training or experience. Thus, get educated in the field you wish to enter. Be that buy and hold, a good way to gain experience is to work for a property management company. PM is the key factor to success n holding rentals (aside from market knowledge and the numbers).
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
12y
I would also add that becoming a RE agent will not aid in your education as an investor. It is ver beneficial for access to MLS, ability to collect commissions on the buy and sell side, and helps in other ways, particularly for rehab flippers.
Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 3 votes
12y
@joseph thank you for your reply. I know the area pretty well, what the houses usually sell and rent for. I spend a lot of time looking at houses on our mls website.
Real Estate Investor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2013 · 49 posts · 10 votes
12y
@Olivia Aubry Education on all fronts is the best place to start. You have already taken a step in that direction by joining BiggerPockets. Then you must Take Action!
In my experience, I joined BP toward the end of 2013. I spent a few months listening to all the podcasts and reading everything I could (I was on overload!). I also began networking with other BP folks and local folks. I set a goal for myself that I would do my first deal in January 2014. So when January 1st came around, I focused on finding and acquiring a deal, which I did, and I am now working on my first SFH rehab right now.
For me, figuring out my strategy, and then taking action according to that strategy were the most important steps to getting started. There should be at least one local BP meetup in Houston. Just search BP for the info.