Motivated High School Senior (Soon to be college student)

Motivated High School Senior (Soon to be college student)

Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone, my name is Max Couper and I am from the Bay Area in California. I'm super excited to have joined this community and begin to build my foundation in REI. I am currently a senior in high school nearing graduation and have a growing passion for learning this industry. I am planning to attend Cal Poly SLO in the fall and majoring in finance. I am a motivated student willing to expand my knowledge and hopefully obtain some hands-on experience. I wanted to ask the community for any tips you might have on where to begin learning this business and possibly some guidance on what kind of work I could be seeking out as a student with no background in this industry. Could be a mentorship, internship, or any kind of work that would allow me to get some real-world hands-on experience, but the problem is, I just don't know where I should be looking. Any guidance would be very appreciated, thanks!

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 448 posts · 441 votes
2y

Listen to the BiggerPockets podcast. I tossed it in my headphones at 2x speed while I made breakfast and was able to listen to four years' worth of podcasts in six months (during COVID). The podcast is a great way to learn new investing concepts and think like an investor. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan SheeksPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 621 posts · 362 votes
    2y

    My advice would be to read the Bigger Pockets’ book First to a Million (and the workbook). It’s written for young aspiring investors just like you.

  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dan Sheeks:

    My advice would be to read the Bigger Pockets’ book First to a Million (and the workbook). It’s written for young aspiring investors just like you.


     Thanks Dan!

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2024 · 50 posts · 18 votes
    2y

    Hey Max! I'd start at with doing anything you can to be exposed to whichever side of the industry interests you most. If its the sales side, get your license. If its investing, attend a Meetup event and let everyone know why you're there. It'll be awkward and may feel like you don't belong but in my experience everyone is happy to share what knowledge they can and possibly give you that mentorship you're looking for. Either way doing whatever you can to get as close as possible to what you are interested in is going to give you the context to ask better questions and know exactly what it is you want to do once done with your schooling. 

    Hope that helps!

  • Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 971 votes
    2y
  • Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 448 posts · 441 votes
    2y

    Listen to the BiggerPockets podcast. I tossed it in my headphones at 2x speed while I made breakfast and was able to listen to four years' worth of podcasts in six months (during COVID). The podcast is a great way to learn new investing concepts and think like an investor. 

  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stephen Montez:

    Hey Max! I'd start at with doing anything you can to be exposed to whichever side of the industry interests you most. If its the sales side, get your license. If its investing, attend a Meetup event and let everyone know why you're there. It'll be awkward and may feel like you don't belong but in my experience everyone is happy to share what knowledge they can and possibly give you that mentorship you're looking for. Either way doing whatever you can to get as close as possible to what you are interested in is going to give you the context to ask better questions and know exactly what it is you want to do once done with your schooling. 

    Hope that helps!

    Thank you for the great insight Stephen, I really appreciate it.
  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tanner Lewis:

    Listen to the BiggerPockets podcast. I tossed it in my headphones at 2x speed while I made breakfast and was able to listen to four years' worth of podcasts in six months (during COVID). The podcast is a great way to learn new investing concepts and think like an investor. 


     I will definitely continue listening. I found the podcast 2 days ago and started with episode 1. I've been listening to it nonstop and it's been getting me super interested in this industry. Thanks Tanner!

  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Costin I.:

     Thanks Costin!

  • Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Max Couper, you should come out a meetup in Berkeley hosted by @Tyler Jahnke

    https://www.meetup.com/realestateunited/events/296118761/

    Good luck on your journey,

    -Arlen

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2016 · 223 posts · 112 votes
    2y

    Spend some time to understand compounding and its implication on wealth building. Then some time on understanding risk and how to manage potential downside vs expected upside. Several books like "Am I being too subtle" will help to understand risk-reward. Along with you will realize the most valuable resource you have than most others, which is time! Congratulation on your great start!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    That is great that you are starting out at young age! I agree with the above comments on listening to podcasts and networking with other real estate investors at meet ups. I think your finance major will help you navigate real estate investing and other types of investing.  

    I would add to network with contractors and ask if one of them will let you walk a project with them. I'm not sure how much you know about construction but I knew nothing about renovations until I did one on my own rental (in the Bay Area). One of the important parts of a good deal is the estimated renovation costs and there are still repairs even with a "turnkey" (move in ready house) - I learned that quickly.  

    I'm not sure about where you would find internships but maybe you could work as an assistant at a real estate brokerage, a real estate investment, property management, or inspection company.  One thing I wish I had asked before I submitted offers on out of state properties was have an experienced investor or unbiased party (not anyone on the agent's team) do a very detailed video tour of the property and pay them for their time. Maybe you could bring that up with an investor and offer to help? 

    Good luck in your journey!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.