Investing in Hagerstown, Frederick Maryland

Investing in Hagerstown, Frederick Maryland

New to Real Estate · Rockville, MD · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 20 votes

Hello, 

I live in DMV area, I'd like to know how's the market prospect in Hagerstown, Frederick Maryland.
I am interested with cash flow property, is there any particular area where to invest and avoid ?. Thank you

1Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Bagus A.:

Hello, 

I live in DMV area, I'd like to know how's the market prospect in Hagerstown, Frederick Maryland.
I am interested with cash flow property, is there any particular area where to invest and avoid ?. Thank you


 Hagerstown has some cash flow. Frederick does not. Frederick appreciates, Hagerstown not so much. City of Hagerstown is pretty anti-landlord, so many only invest outside the city limits there. Frederick is higher class tenant base than Hagerstown.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bagus A.:

    Hello, 

    I live in DMV area, I'd like to know how's the market prospect in Hagerstown, Frederick Maryland.
    I am interested with cash flow property, is there any particular area where to invest and avoid ?. Thank you


     Hagerstown has some cash flow. Frederick does not. Frederick appreciates, Hagerstown not so much. City of Hagerstown is pretty anti-landlord, so many only invest outside the city limits there. Frederick is higher class tenant base than Hagerstown.

  • New to Real Estate · Rockville, MD · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 20 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Bagus A.:

    Hello, 

    I live in DMV area, I'd like to know how's the market prospect in Hagerstown, Frederick Maryland.
    I am interested with cash flow property, is there any particular area where to invest and avoid ?. Thank you


     Hagerstown has some cash flow. Frederick does not. Frederick appreciates, Hagerstown not so much. City of Hagerstown is pretty anti-landlord, so many only invest outside the city limits there. Frederick is higher class tenant base than Hagerstown.

     Good to know this. Thank you @Russell Brazil

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 847 posts · 656 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bagus A.:

    Hello, 

    I live in DMV area, I'd like to know how's the market prospect in Hagerstown, Frederick Maryland.
    I am interested with cash flow property, is there any particular area where to invest and avoid ?. Thank you

    Cash flow is gonna be very difficult if not impossible in Frederick county, you might find some cash flow in Hagerstown, though the most housing stock is just utter **** inside the city, I’d look to buy like in halfway or something where at least the housing stock is decent. If you look outside city limits make sure you do some research on the septic system, your lot size, if you even have room for a backup field , the ability to replace septic is becoming a real issue statewide. 
  • New to Real Estate · Rockville, MD · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 20 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jack Seiden:
    Quote from @Bagus A.:

    Hello, 

    I live in DMV area, I'd like to know how's the market prospect in Hagerstown, Frederick Maryland.
    I am interested with cash flow property, is there any particular area where to invest and avoid ?. Thank you

    Cash flow is gonna be very difficult if not impossible in Frederick county, you might find some cash flow in Hagerstown, though the most housing stock is just utter **** inside the city, I’d look to buy like in halfway or something where at least the housing stock is decent. If you look outside city limits make sure you do some research on the septic system, your lot size, if you even have room for a backup field , the ability to replace septic is becoming a real issue statewide.https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/1191972-investing-in-hagerstown-frederick-maryland# 

     Good to know this. Thank you @Jack Seiden

  • Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2024 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    I am on the same boat and looking for a LTR (long term rental) in Hagerstown with steady cash flow. I am still at the planning phase and we can connect. I am wondering what are the best area to invest in Hagerstown, anyone?

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Hey I was looking to get a single family in Hagerstown in the next 3 months. Do you get to see any rehab opportunities there?

  • Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2024 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    The Math did not add-up for me in Hagerstown after analyzing many deals because rent price overall are low. With the current market, I will not be able to make my required cash flow after paying all operating cost including mortgage, vacancy, property tax, insurances, maintenance cost, no need for a property manager because I can manage it. I moved on to Washington DC where rent prices are better and the numbers added up. Good luck!

  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 11 votes
    2y

    Hi All,

    I live in Frederick and invest in Frederick and Washington County for the last 10 years.

    Happy to help

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.