What are deal breakers for you in an inspection report?

What are deal breakers for you in an inspection report?

Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes

I just put my first property, a duplex, under contract and got the inspection report back. The house is 107 years old and had a pretty lackluster renovation completed on it, so I knew there were going to be some issues, but also some things I know I can solve with my property maintenance background. 

Most glaring issues to me are:

- DWV pipe leak

- Some outlets aren't grounded in both units

What are things you've seen in the past that were real causes for concern/concessions in closing the deal?

0Reply
20 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • CT · Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    Hey Brian, congrats on your first duplex, that's awesome!

    Here's my take: A 107 year old home is going to have some aging, unless it was fully gutted and refitted.  In my experience, inspections are typically about safety, not whether something is up to code (that's what the town building inspectors are for).  I've worked with a few (even trained briefly as I considered a career change, but didn't make the switch), all of them have said safety was the priority.  Leaks can lead to mold. Outlets may be two pole wiring (wouldn't be unusual in a 107 year old house).  I'd look for signs of arcing around those outlets.

    Other things I look for are how is the foundation, cracks in the walls (assuming lath and plaster), condition of the mechanicals, depending on what the house is built on, I may get a radon test done for the air and water (near me there is a lot of ledge, so radon is an issue in most homes).  If it has a basement, I'll look for discoloration in the exterior walls, sometimes you can see if there's been water in the basement (where I live sellers are required to disclose water problems). Use a screwdriver to poke at the sill plate to look for rot or termite damage. What type of plumbing pipe is in the house - galvanized steel corrodes from the outside in, lead pipes may have been common back then. Asbestos insulation around pipes.

    I'll try to think of a few more, but those would be the major ones.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.