Soon-to-be-retired teacher(3 years) and licensed builder next step suggestions

Soon-to-be-retired teacher(3 years) and licensed builder next step suggestions

Mason, MI · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 6 votes

I've been a teacher (5th grade and 7th S.S.) for 22 years and can retire with full pension in 3 years. I'm a licensed builder and have done just about everything imaginable in the construction trades. New builds-broke even in the '08 market on two spec homes, built my own home from the ground up twelve years ago(400k in equity). A couple fix and flips that were financed with HELOC. But, primarily my main business is remodel work. I have great clientele with repeat customers and wonderful word of mouth which keeps me busy enough to fill my summers and time off during the school year. My wife is a wizard with interior design so we make a great team.

All of that is wonderful, but what's next. Once I'm able to retire and remodel full time, I'm eager to make great money. But, it still doesn't feel like it's enough. Ideally we'd like to fix and flip and/or STR cottages in Michigan. Just like everyone, we want to build wealth that is sustainable and I know that real estate is the way but I'm not sure how to get rolling. We've had pipe dreams for years and we are ready to really start making our dreams a reality.

Our savings are minimal, since teaching isn't very lucrative and life is expensive. Should we pursue a "cheap" rental in order to build rental history in the hopes of securing DSCR loans down the road? Should we save every penny for a larger downpayment? Even so, we might not qualify for a house/cottage in the 200k-300k range. I want to start building our portfolio and would love some experienced help with direction.

Over the past ten years, it seems like I've had numerous deals/ideas that just didn't come to fruition and I'm just feeling a bit defeated. 

0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Nathan Johnson "Our savings are minimal, since teaching isn't very lucrative and life is expensive."

    Sorry for the tough love, but not buying the above.

    You & your wife's salaries should cover your expenses, while the income from your remodeling gigs should be saved.

    Recommend you review EVERY dollar you made and what you spent it on in 2024. Then put yourselves on a budget!

    You want to buy real estate with no savings, which even if you can scrape together a 10-20% down payment, means you will have no cushion to fall back on when the inevitable surprise expense happens. 

    You could tap the $400k of equity in your primary, but that's a slippery slope with the little financial discipline you appear to have and could quickly lead to bankruptcy.

  • Mason, MI · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Your assessment is fair for sure.   No apologies needed for the tough love.   It's appreciated.   We live well, have a nice house which I built from the ground up and saved 200k off the top.  My truck is a 2010 and my wife's car is a 2016.  Kid in college and one starting to drive   blah blah blah.

    I'm sure there are numerous places to cut money for sure.  I've been digging into that over the last few weeks a little closer.   I appreciate your time.

  • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Hi I also live in Michigan actually not far from Drew .I just wanted to say that I agree with dDrew as it was a hard lesson for us.Now before I spend any thing I ask myself is this a need or is it a want . Needs get addressed and I figure if I spend the next 5-8 years letting the wants wait ,we will be at a financial advantage point to begin to live the life that we and in my opinion everyone deserves . Hopefully I'll get to meet y'all in the near future as I have just decided to begin the quest to build a rental portfolio as well as some other prospects.i recently had a health scare that made me remember nothing ventured nothing gained ! If I can be a help in any way let me know as I believe it's easier for a team or even 2 people to acquire goals than 1 person alone sometimes it takes the village.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.