I Almost Gave Up Real Estate Investing

I Almost Gave Up Real Estate Investing

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 917 posts · 607 votes

I almost gave up on real estate investing before I even started.
When I first considered investing in real estate, I was drowning in paralysis of analysis. I spent months, no, years, reading books, buying No Money Down cassettes, (Carleton Sheets, anyone?), attending "free" nothing down seminars, (Tom Vu?? 😄), and second-guessing every potential deal. Sound familiar?
The truth is, most new, aspiring investors don’t fail because of a lack of information—they fail because they don’t take action. Your goal is to move from hesitation to execution faster than I did.
If you’ve been stuck on the sidelines, overanalyzing and waiting for the "perfect" deal, here’s my best advice:
✅ Stop chasing the perfect deal. There’s no such thing.
✅ Find a mentor or accountability partner. An investment in education is an investment in yourself. It will be the best investment you ever made. Guidance cuts your learning curve.
✅ Take one small action today. Whether it’s making an offer or calling a seller—momentum matters.
What’s holding you back from your first deal? Drop it in the comments.

2Reply
438 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Pittsburgh, NYC, & Long Island · Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    I hear you. I bought my first flip this year.  I did it privately, not telling friends/family. Sure I have doubts now that I’m midway through renovations…but I feel the contacts I’ve gained in a new city (electricians, plumbers, etc) are worth their weight in gold. Even if my flip breaks even (as I think it will) I still feel proud and better equipped for the next property. 

  • New to Real Estate · Chicago, IL · Member since 2025 · 23 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    When looking for a mentor, what's something you think newer investors can do to add value to the relationship and make it mutually beneficial?

  • Member since 2024 · 400 posts · 240 votes
    1y

    @Christian Artuso

    Some mentors 'expect' things in return, which is how they want to operate.  They have a right. But I don't see them as mentor.  I consider them 'traders'. They are simply trading one thing for another. I did find a mentor on BP who expediated my experience with REI and continue to mentor me in my journey...all for nothing in return!

    True story about my mentor- On one occasion I asked him why does he contribute so much of his time and knowledge to my journey.  His answer: "He is living vicariously thru this journey of mine".

    I hope you and everyone new find their real mentor.

    • Member since 2022 · 51 posts · 28 votes
      1y

      @Kevin S. What a great story, Kevin. I try and remember that giving for those who have the time and resources is a gift that should be received graciously. It even is a "trade" of some sort. They get joy of giving, and you get the gift of receiving. Thanks for that reminder!

  • New to Real Estate · Chicago, IL · Member since 2025 · 23 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Thank you. I appreciate the breakdown there between how some might handle the relationship.

  • New to Real Estate · HOUSTON · Member since 2024 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    @Michael Carbonare I'm where you were, almost about to give up on investing because everything is pointing in the wrong direction. I was just on backflip, analyzing homes and everything I put in the system came back with a poor return, which is a question I need to ask BP professionals. I really do believe you have to start somewhere, whether the returns a big or small. Thank you for sharing.

  • Investor · Crown Point, IN · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 84 votes
    1y

    @Kevin S.

    I like that you found a mentor. I’ve done some mentoring in the past, and I typically do charge, though not much. I fear that someone might try to take advantage of my time and use that fee, though typically minimal as a way to keep them conscious of time.

    I’ve also had a college student that I’d asked to do some charity work as payment for my mentoring.

  • Member since 2024 · 400 posts · 240 votes
    1y

    @David Hedges

    Whatever works for you and the mentee.  I am fortunate to have one who don't expect a return.  Once I gain my experience, I intent to pay that forward in future to someone in need without expecting a 'return'. Thanks for your comment. 

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Michael Carbonare:

    I almost gave up on real estate investing before I even started.
    When I first considered investing in real estate, I was drowning in paralysis of analysis. I spent months, no, years, reading books, buying No Money Down cassettes, (Carleton Sheets, anyone?), attending "free" nothing down seminars, (Tom Vu?? 😄), and second-guessing every potential deal. Sound familiar?
    The truth is, most new, aspiring investors don’t fail because of a lack of information—they fail because they don’t take action. Your goal is to move from hesitation to execution faster than I did.
    If you’ve been stuck on the sidelines, overanalyzing and waiting for the "perfect" deal, here’s my best advice:
    ✅ Stop chasing the perfect deal. There’s no such thing.
    ✅ Find a mentor or accountability partner. An investment in education is an investment in yourself. It will be the best investment you ever made. Guidance cuts your learning curve.
    ✅ Take one small action today. Whether it’s making an offer or calling a seller—momentum matters.
    What’s holding you back from your first deal? Drop it in the comments.

    Your comment "

    (Carleton Sheets, anyone?), attending "free" nothing down seminars, (Tom Vu?? 😄),

    And don't forget "NOTHING DOWN HOW TO BUY REAL ESTATE LITTLE OR NO MONEY DOWN"  by ROBERT G. ALLEN |  1980

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 917 posts · 607 votes
    1y

    @Ken M.  I forgot about Robert Allen. . .Sheets, Vu, and Allen, the Three Wise Men.  LOL

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.