High-Income, Time-Strapped W2 Earner—First House Hack Strategy?

High-Income, Time-Strapped W2 Earner—First House Hack Strategy?

Member since 2024 · 15 posts · 6 votes

Hi everyone,

I’m currently renting in the Denver metro for $2,150/month and looking to buy my first property. I discovered BiggerPockets and FI about two years ago, and since then, I’ve been focused on improving my financial position and saving aggressively.

My Situation

• No real estate owned yet

• High-income but very time-intensive W2 job

• ~$80K cash saved, growing by ~$100K annually

• Limited time outside of work, so I think my best strategy is fewer, high-quality assets over volume

• End goal is optionality and freedom. I have concerns about stability of W2

Strategies I’m Considering

1️⃣ Single-Family + ADU (Downtown Area, ~$1M+)

• Live in the ADU and short-term rent the main house (from what I've read this is the only viable way to STR in Denver)

• Concerns: Managing STR with limited time, exit strategy when I move and STR is no longer legal

2️⃣ Duplex/Triplex/Fourplex (“A” Neighborhood)

• House hack for a year, then transition to property management and repeat

• Concerns: Cash flow after moving out, limited time for value-add opportunities

3️⃣ Relocate to a Different Market

• W2 allows location flexibility, and I don't have ties to Denver

• Same strategies, but in a market where entry costs and cash flow may be better

• Concerns: Long-term appreciation vs. Denver

What I’m Looking For:

• Feedback on these strategies—what am I missing or not considering?

• Advice from those who have done STR or small multifamily house hacks with a busy W2

• Thoughts on exit strategies for both options

Would love to hear from those with experience in similar situations! Thanks in advance.

2Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan SpathBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 561 posts · 376 votes
1y

Benjamin - welcome to the club! If you are not married to Denver as previously mentioned you could move to a place that does not have state income tax and lower cost of living and really speed up your process. We can often achieve financial goals faster the more uncomfortable we can become. It's all about delayed gratification. 



option 2 is my favorite. You are in a more expensive state and you make higher wages due to this. I would purchase as much real estate as possible FHA loan for the 1st 4plex or check to see if there are other state funded down payment programs for first time home buyers.

I would put my head down and try to buy a 4 plex every other year for 10 years. You are going to look up and have 5 of them and now things will really start to pay off. 

real estate is like planting trees, it takes ~10 years to really get any shade. And when you have several trees giving you shade you no longer need air conditioning to stay cool. 

best of luck! Let us know what you come up with. 

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    @Vincent Trujillo I really appreciate the additional strategy. I have definitely thought that a more passive approach could be better. Though with my relative lack of experience I doubt partnering or notes are a wise option at this point. I wasn't aware that fractinal was a thing in real estate but it seems obvious now that you mention it.

  • Real Estate Agent · CO · Member since 2022 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Hey there—you're asking all the right questions. I was in a very similar position a few years ago: working a demanding W2 job in corporate finance, with limited time but a strong desire to build freedom through real estate. My husband and I started by buying primary residences in short-term rental friendly areas, staying for around a year, then moving out and turning them into full-time short-term rentals. We also have a house hack in a short-term rental friendly area that we can also use as a full STR when we're traveling—we're lucky to both be free of our previous corporate jobs (golden handcuffs no more!) and work-optional off of a small but efficient portfolio at this point. I currently work full-time with clients building STR portfolios in the Denver area, and I've seen this model work especially well for high-income buyers who want to get the most out of a single property.

    With your goals and income, I'd lean toward either a STR-friendly single-family home with an ADU, or a small multifamily in a location that allows short-term or mid-term rentals. Just outside of Denver—Arvada, Wheat Ridge, and parts of unincorporated Adams—has much more flexibility with STR regulations compared to Denver proper. If you're buying within the city, your STR use will be limited to when it's your primary residence, so exit strategy matters. That's where I see people get stuck—they move out and suddenly can't use the property as they intended. My clients often buy in areas where the full property can operate as an STR once they leave, which protects their cash flow long-term. There are absolutely short-term rental friendly options in the Denver area—I personally own a few.

    STR management also doesn't have to be as overwhelming as it seems. I've built systems that automate 90% of guest communication and connect clients with reliable turnover teams, so managing an STR can take less than an hour a week. It's definitely more hands-on than a long-term rental, but the income difference is significant. I have one property that brings in $5K–$6K/month, and my clients are consistently seeing $25K–$50K/year in take-home cash flow on STRs with 20–25% down. Many of them are busy professionals, starting with one strong property and growing from there.

    As a W-2 earner, there are also some extremely lucrative tax loopholes specifically for short-term rentals that can honestly outweigh the cash flow—I’ve seen even extremely high W2 earners completely negate their taxable income. Just shoot me a DM—happy to go into more detail on that.

    If it's helpful, I'm happy to walk through your specific scenario or pull up a map and show you where short-term rentals are friendly in the Denver area. Also—there's a YouTube channel that breaks a lot of this down in more detail, especially around Colorado STR strategy. You can find it by searching “Colorado Airbnb Investing” if you're looking to dig deeper.

    You’re in a strong position here—happy to walk through strategy with you.

  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    1y

    @Benjamin Boyle

    Welcome to the BP community, you've come to the right place to get information.

    As others have said on this post, you were in a good position to build wealth for your future. Whenever I talk with investors in your position, I suggested them that they keep their W-2 and focus on that. This is what they're good at and is what is giving them a high income.

    With the investors that I work with I suggest the exact plan that @Ryan Spath lays out. If you are not tied to the market, you're in. Find a market that has good population and employment growth. Find an area in that market that is up-and-coming. And look for a house- hack there.  I have worked with a number of investors that have done this very successfully with quads. They are able to stay in that quad in a nice area for 1 to 2 years and then by another. None of the investors that I've worked with have ever had problems renting the property after they move out. If you're buying in a area that you want to live in others will want to live there too.

    You were in the perfect point in your life that you can build wealth that will carry you the rest of your life.

    Best of luck along your investing journey

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.