Any advice from experienced investors or bird doggers

Any advice from experienced investors or bird doggers

Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi everyone! I'm a beginner aiming to break into the real estate industry through bird dogging, and I'm excited to start connecting deals and building my knowledge in this field. I’m particularly interested in how to bring value to real estate investors while learning the ropes myself. As a newcomer, I’d love to hear any advice or insights you might have.

Here’s where I’m at:

  1. 1. What’s the most effective way to find motivated sellers or undervalued properties as a bird dog? Should I focus on driving for dollars, online research, or networking events?
  2. 2. When reaching out to potential investor clients, how do you recommend positioning myself as a beginner to establish credibility and trust?
  3. Are there any specific tools or software (like CRM systems or deal analysis apps) that would help streamline the process of identifying and presenting deals?
  4. 3. Lastly, how can I structure my compensation as a bird dog to ensure a win-win for both myself and the investors I work with? Are flat fees, percentages, or other options most common?

I’m eager to learn from those with experience in real estate or bird dogging specifically, and I appreciate any tips that will help me grow in this space!

1Reply
47 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Globally · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 37 votes
    1y

    Hi there! It’s great to see you diving into bird dogging, and I’d be happy to share some insights.

    1. Finding Motivated Sellers: A mix of strategies works best. Driving for dollars allows you to spot distressed properties firsthand. Online research (using tools like PropStream or Zillow) helps you identify potential deals. Networking events can also be key, as building relationships with local investors often leads to valuable opportunities.

    2. Establishing Credibility: Position yourself as a keen learner with a deep interest in helping investors find profitable deals. Be honest about your experience level, but demonstrate your commitment to learning and providing value. Use tools like CRM systems (e.g., Zoho or HubSpot) to stay organized and track leads efficiently.

    3. Compensation: Typically, bird dogs work on a commission basis, either a flat fee or a percentage of the deal. A flat fee per lead can be a good start, but percentages of the profit can be more rewarding as you gain experience.

    With over 30 years in the industry, I can also help guide you as you grow and provide mentorship. Let’s connect—I'd love to support you in building your real estate career!

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Let’s connect! Do you have some way that I can contact you? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.