Rookie right here, and ready to get started!!!

Rookie right here, and ready to get started!!!

Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi, everyone my name is Nereyda. I am SO new at REI. This has always been a dream of mine but have always been too afraid to take the first leap. Mostly due to fear, the unknowing and not having the money or credit to do so. Long story short my ex-husband left me in a lot of debt that has been affecting me for some time. I am ready to take the bull by the horns and learn and apply everything I learn. Yes, I'm scared, but if I just sit back and not face this fear my dream of becoming a REI will NEVER happen. If you guys have tips, advise, or anything that can help this rookie right here, I will appreciate it dearly. PLEASE, anyone who can help direct me in the right path I will for every be thankful for this. Someone did tell me about programs out there that can help, but I don't have +20K to join these programs. So, any tip and advise you take it and run with it. I am ready and motivated!

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2025 · 194 posts · 140 votes
1y

Welcome to the group!

As you begin diving into the world of real estate investing and start laying the groundwork for your strategy, one of the most important steps you can take early on is to prioritize both tax planning and asset protection. These two elements often get overlooked in the excitement of deal-making, but they play a critical role in the long-term success and sustainability of your investment journey.

A well-thought-out tax strategy helps ensure you're maximizing all available deductions, utilizing the most favorable tax structures, and ultimately keeping more of your hard-earned income. By proactively planning how your investments are taxed, you can significantly reduce your overall tax burden and position yourself for greater financial flexibility.

Equally important is establishing a strong asset protection plan. Real estate investing comes with inherent risks. Lawsuits, liabilities, and creditor claims can quickly jeopardize everything you've worked to build. The right legal structure can help shield your personal assets, reduce your exposure to litigation, and make it more difficult for creditors to gain access to your wealth. Proper planning can also improve your negotiating position in legal disputes and potentially lead to more favorable outcomes.

To navigate these areas effectively, I strongly recommend working with qualified professionals, including a knowledgeable tax advisor who understands real estate and a seasoned asset protection attorney familiar with your specific goals and risk profile. Having the right team in place from the start can save you countless headaches down the road and give you confidence as your portfolio grows.

Wishing you success and smart investing!

Disclaimer: This message is intended for educational and informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication. Please consult with qualified professionals regarding your specific situation.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 32 votes
    1y

    Welcome Nereyda! First off, huge respect for being open and taking that first leap. Fear is normal, but your mindset and determination are already setting you apart.

    You don’t need $20K or an expensive program to get started. BiggerPockets has a ton of free tools, podcasts, forums, and blogs, they're great places to start learning. Focus on education, building relationships, and understanding your local market. That knowledge will give you confidence and help you spot opportunities when they come.

    Start attending local real estate meetups (we work with investors that attend NCREIA), connect with other investors, and don’t be afraid to ask questions like you did here. Also, look into creative strategies like house hacking or partnering with someone who has capital but needs help with finding or managing deals.

    You’re already on the right path, just keep moving forward, one step at a time. You’ve got this!

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Thank you, David. I appreciate you replying to my post. These real estate meeting, are they meeting you need to sign up for, me a member, or be a realtor?  

    • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 32 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Nereyda Valencia:

      Thank you, David. I appreciate you replying to my post. These real estate meeting, are they meeting you need to sign up for, me a member, or be a realtor?  


       NCREIA for example has membership options, others may just be a meetup for investors of all levels. I would research for events posted on here or research for what's going on around you.

  • Investor · CT · Member since 2022 · 36 posts · 18 votes
    1y

    Hey Nereyda, welcome to the forums.

    Here’s what I’d recommend as a starting point:

    Keep educating yourself – your fear comes from the unknown. The more you learn, the more confident you’ll feel. Listen to the BiggerPockets podcast, read books, and spend time here in the forums. Education helps you understand the risk/reward, so you can take calculated risks when the time comes to buy your first property.

    Start saving for your first down payment – Even if it’s just a little at a time, consistency matters. Having a strong financial position gives you more flexibility and helps reduce risk on your first deal.

    You can find local real estate meetups posted here on BiggerPockets or just Google real estate investor meetup in your area. Some are free, others charge a small fee (~$25) to cover food or venue space.  You don't need a membership to find meetups, although some do.

    There’s a ton of free or low-cost education out there. The key is to learn, take notes, ask questions, and taking action what you’re learning.

    let me know if this help!

  • Member since 2025 · 194 posts · 140 votes
    1y

    Welcome to the group!

    As you begin diving into the world of real estate investing and start laying the groundwork for your strategy, one of the most important steps you can take early on is to prioritize both tax planning and asset protection. These two elements often get overlooked in the excitement of deal-making, but they play a critical role in the long-term success and sustainability of your investment journey.

    A well-thought-out tax strategy helps ensure you're maximizing all available deductions, utilizing the most favorable tax structures, and ultimately keeping more of your hard-earned income. By proactively planning how your investments are taxed, you can significantly reduce your overall tax burden and position yourself for greater financial flexibility.

    Equally important is establishing a strong asset protection plan. Real estate investing comes with inherent risks. Lawsuits, liabilities, and creditor claims can quickly jeopardize everything you've worked to build. The right legal structure can help shield your personal assets, reduce your exposure to litigation, and make it more difficult for creditors to gain access to your wealth. Proper planning can also improve your negotiating position in legal disputes and potentially lead to more favorable outcomes.

    To navigate these areas effectively, I strongly recommend working with qualified professionals, including a knowledgeable tax advisor who understands real estate and a seasoned asset protection attorney familiar with your specific goals and risk profile. Having the right team in place from the start can save you countless headaches down the road and give you confidence as your portfolio grows.

    Wishing you success and smart investing!

    Disclaimer: This message is intended for educational and informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication. Please consult with qualified professionals regarding your specific situation.

  • Property Manager · Dallas/Ft. Worth · Member since 2024 · 70 posts · 32 votes
    1y

    Hi Nereyda,

    Welcome to the community and congratulations on taking this first big step! Just posting here already puts you ahead of many. 

    You don’t necessarily need $20K or perfect credit to get started in real estate investing. Stick around BiggerPockets, listen to their podcast, and read beginner-friendly books like "The Book on Rental Property Investing” by Brandon Turner or “Set for Life” by Scott Trench. These both are good books for beginning investors to read. 

    Consider wholesaling, house hacking, or partnering with others who may have capital but need help finding deals.

    Go to free local meetups, real estate investor meetings, or events. People are often willing to share knowledge, mentor, or even partner, especially when they see your enthusiasm and consistency.

    You’re in the right place, and you’re not alone. Keep showing up, asking questions, and taking action.

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Thank you so much everyone for the great advice and tips. I am sure continuing to do my homework. I am definitely getting the book, "Rental Property Investment" I will be logging on daily to read post and soak in everything I can. Again, than you to all!!!

  • Investor · Member since 2024 · 83 posts · 58 votes
    1y

    Nereyda,  I hear you loud and clear, and I want to start by saying welcome to the world of real estate investing! I’m so proud of you for stepping out in faith despite the fear. That’s where real transformation begins. Let me offer you some encouragement and tangible steps based on my own journey over the past decade.

    When my husband and I started in real estate investing nearly 10 years ago, we didn’t have a trust fund, a pile of cash, or perfect credit either. In fact, we made our first deal with very little of our own money. What we did have was grit, curiosity, and the willingness to take calculated risks while learning as we went. And I want you to know,  you can absolutely do this too.

    Here are a few things that helped me get started (and that can absolutely work for you too):

    You may not have money or perfect credit, but you have a story, determination, and a willingness to learn. That's a powerful trio. Start networking in free investor groups (like this one), attend local meetups, join free webinars, and consume podcasts and books on REI. Knowledge is leverage when you don't have capital.

    My favorite is the BRRRR method (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat), which is a powerful way to build wealth using the same money over and over again. There's also wholesaling, seller financing, and partnerships. These are all options that don't require tens of thousands to start. I even break these down step-by-step in free trainings on my site because I want more women like YOU to break free and build wealth.

    Let people know you’re investing, even before you close your first deal. When people see you’re serious and learning, they’ll want to help or even partner with you. That’s how we found many of our early deals and private lenders. Don’t underestimate your ability to attract the right people by simply being authentic.

    It’s normal to be scared, but remind yourself daily: I’m capable. I’m resourceful. I’m worthy of success. You are not your debt. You are not your past. This new chapter is yours to write. Surround yourself with people who uplift and inspire you, and protect your vision fiercely.

    You’re already doing one of the bravest things, asking for help. 

    Keep going. The fear might not disappear right away, but you’ll learn to move through it, and eventually, your confidence will outweigh your doubt.

    I’m cheering you on!!!!  You’ve got this.

  • Investor · Texas City, TX · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 22 votes
    1y

    Welcome to BP community Nereyda.

    You are in the right place to learn and take action.  Keep learning and keep analysing properties.

    You may want to check out with local realtors, turnkey providers out there,  so take the time to review offers from multiple sources. Once you have a few options, run your own numbers—don’t just rely on the Proforma they provide. There are several key metrics you need to analyze when evaluating a property.

    Personally, my main criteria are positive cash flow and a strong Cash-on-Cash (CoC) return. I use a simple calculator that pulls all the essential metrics together in just 2–3 minutes. If the numbers look good, then I dig deeper, llike location analysis etc. You'll learn a great deal.

    And online tools for remote investors are great. With so many out there, you literally never need to step out—I mean, I’ve invested in six properties and haven’t even set foot in three of them.....and it’s worked out just fine! Let me know if you want a list of those tools—everything from property analysis, finding tenants, and rent comps to management, repairs, and maintenance is just a few clicks away.

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Nereyda Valencia:

    Hi, everyone my name is Nereyda. I am SO new at REI. This has always been a dream of mine but have always been too afraid to take the first leap. Mostly due to fear, the unknowing and not having the money or credit to do so. Long story short my ex-husband left me in a lot of debt that has been affecting me for some time. I am ready to take the bull by the horns and learn and apply everything I learn. Yes, I'm scared, but if I just sit back and not face this fear my dream of becoming a REI will NEVER happen. If you guys have tips, advise, or anything that can help this rookie right here, I will appreciate it dearly. PLEASE, anyone who can help direct me in the right path I will for every be thankful for this. Someone did tell me about programs out there that can help, but I don't have +20K to join these programs. So, any tip and advise you take it and run with it. I am ready and motivated!


     Nereyda:

    Welcome to BP. Regarding having FEAR (False Evidence Appearing Real). It's actually a good thing to be kind of a sceptic.  While money & credit are very important, when you don't have it then you need to learn how to do the following.  It's all about education:

    1. Surround yourself with like minded people; listen & learn. For example- The $20K guru program most likely has a 3 day information session.  It's either free or a low cost. Attend the session. 70% of the session will be about upselling you to join. Don't join- Get contact information from every attendee & start establishing relationships

    2. Do a search here on Bigger Pockets and find a few people on the forum that live near you. Investors, attornies, contractors, lenders,......

    3. Start researching your market. What sector do you think you may thrive in. Single families, multifamily, commercial,......

    4. Learn the laws in the area you plan on doing business in. (You may even consider getting a license)

    5. Establish a business plan.

    Bottom line- You need to educate yourself over the next few months and always be a continuous learner.  Eventually when you have enough knowledge you''ll be ready to pull the trigger.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.