Just Passed My Exam! Looking for Brokerage Advice for a Newbie!

Just Passed My Exam! Looking for Brokerage Advice for a Newbie!

Real Estate Agent · WI · Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 14 votes

Hello BiggerPockets community!


My name is Karmine, and I'm excited to share that I just passed my real estate salesperson exam! I'm 18 years old and eager to dive into the world of real estate here in the Racine County area.


As a somewhat newbie to the industry, I'm now faced with the important decision of which real estate brokerage to join. I'm particularly interested in joining a team where I can learn the ropes, especially when it comes to outbound lead generation. I'm also keen to leverage my entrepreneurial spirit and strong work ethic to succeed.


I'd love to hear your opinions and advice on which types of brokerages or specific companies might be a good fit for someone just starting out. What should I be looking for in a brokerage as a new agent? Are there any specific questions I should be asking during interviews?


Any insights or recommendations you can offer would be greatly appreciated! I'm excited to learn and grow in this industry.


Thank you in advance for your help!

2Reply
43 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    1y

    Congratulations!

    If possible a brokerage that will support your continued education, match you up with a good mentor (someone that sells/lists a lot of properties successfully), and doesn't use you as a source of income for the firm rather than as a potential asset (a lot of agencies charge you a monthly "membership" fee for the 'privilege' of calling yourself an agent of a specific firm). 

    For a lot of firms - especially the ones that rake good cash from agents outside of sales - it's just a numbers game. 100 agents each paying $100 "membership" fee is 10 grand a month just off dues. Certain fees are fair - office, technology, supplies - but they should be relatively minimal as part of the sales commission that comes right off the top is supposed to support those things, not just be pure profit for the managing broker. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
    • Real Estate Agent · WI · Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 14 votes
      1y
      Quote from @JD Martin:

      Congratulations!

      If possible a brokerage that will support your continued education, match you up with a good mentor (someone that sells/lists a lot of properties successfully), and doesn't use you as a source of income for the firm rather than as a potential asset (a lot of agencies charge you a monthly "membership" fee for the 'privilege' of calling yourself an agent of a specific firm). 

      For a lot of firms - especially the ones that rake good cash from agents outside of sales - it's just a numbers game. 100 agents each paying $100 "membership" fee is 10 grand a month just off dues. Certain fees are fair - office, technology, supplies - but they should be relatively minimal as part of the sales commission that comes right off the top is supposed to support those things, not just be pure profit for the managing broker. 


       Thank you for your insight JD! I will take your advice into consideration during my brokerage search journey.

  • Rebecca KnoxBusiness Member
    Specialist · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Check out Premier Point Realty and Homestead---both owners are investors themselves and they have many investor agents, both with affordable fee structure too. 

    Captain Save-A-Home LLC
    • Real Estate Agent · WI · Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 14 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Rebecca Knox:

      Check out Premier Point Realty and Homestead---both owners are investors themselves and they have many investor agents, both with affordable fee structure too. 


       I will, Thank you Rebecca

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.