Entry into Real Estate

Entry into Real Estate

New to Real Estate · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 18 votes

Hello, I am a 19 year old college student majoring in engineering who wants to start making money within real estate. I have about 20k saved up and want to buy a house to house hack within the next 3 years but am not totally sure what my next move would be. I currently do turnover inspections for a property management company which I enjoy, but need to start increasing my income if I want to afford a house in the near future. Any recommendations on side hustles within real estate to help build my income for my first property? 

3Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

You're off to a great start. I'd consider residential leasing but you're kind of missing the season at this point. Perhaps you could do that next year

Perhaps you can get in at a property management company in some additional capacity as an assistant property manager. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 456 votes
    1y

    Luke, you're off to a strong start. With your $20k saved and experience in inspections, you’re building a solid base for house hacking.

    To boost income, consider expanding your role at the property management company or getting your real estate license to close occasional deals. Wholesaling can also be a good entry point if you’re up for the grind. Keep building credit, saving, and learning, you're on the right track.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 325 posts · 117 votes
    1y

    House hacking with 20k is a great start. Ranging anywhere from zero to 5% down, did you know it's possible to buy a 1 - 4-unit property using FHA, VA, or FNMA/FHLMC (Conventional) financing programs? "Just" make sure it cash flows before you buy, rinse, and repeat and you'll be on your way to an early retirement in no time. All the best!

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    You're off to a great start. I'd consider residential leasing but you're kind of missing the season at this point. Perhaps you could do that next year

    Perhaps you can get in at a property management company in some additional capacity as an assistant property manager. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Luke Okane

    Credit to you for getting started early and planning ahead! To qualify for a typical conforming loan (Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac), you'll need to show a stable income to get pre approved. But if you could get a co-signer, you may be able to get your first property sooner or without a full-time income. I'm sure @Zack Karp can give you advice on this front.

    There are many different careers within real estate, so I suggest investigating the jobs/careers that seem interesting to you. You're already doing that within property management, which I think is a great career path particularly if you want to be a real estate investor because it gives you broad exposure to all the other professionals & careers within real estate (landlords, contractors, agents, etc). You're acting as the owner's agent, so it's good on-the-job training and experience for when you become a landlord yourself.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.