Possible Property Inspector

Possible Property Inspector

New to Real Estate · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 18 votes

Hello, I am a 19 year old full time college student who currently does turnover inspections for a property management company. These inspections are pretty superficial, taking only about 1hr and make about $85. As I want to increase my income in order to buy my first investment property, I have thought of becoming a licensed inspector. While I do know being an inspector is not what I want to do as a career, I was thinking during my next 3 years in college I could work weekends and summers in order to boost revenue. Is this a feasible idea? I know there is an initial investment of time and money so I was just seeking advice as to see if this was a smart plan, or if I am better off seeking opportunities elsewhere. 

0Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I think that's a solid plan to start. You should be able to get with an inspection company that can accommodate your schedule. You can learn and see items which would help when you are done with college. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Luke Okane

    If you don't see yourself having a career as a home inspector, it's probably not worth the time and effort to get your license.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    Sounds good!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.