Looking for guidance….and maybe a mentor???

Looking for guidance….and maybe a mentor???

Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 6 votes

Hey everyone, I'm a 34 year old Air Force Vet, earning 6 figures as a Business Consultant. I have 6 figures in cash reserves and I've been curious about RE. Moving from base to base, I've been forced into renovations of previous homes (cough "pipe burst flooding") and currently helping with my mom's renovations in my childhood home. I have a Contracting Officer background as well and so I'm looking for direction. I like the thought of flipping homes and providing a "home" for buyers looking to move into the local area. 

4Reply
155 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11mo
Quote from @Denzel Dones:

Hey everyone, I'm a 34 year old Air Force Vet, earning 6 figures as a Business Consultant. I have 6 figures in cash reserves and I've been curious about RE. Moving from base to base, I've been forced into renovations of previous homes (cough "pipe burst flooding") and currently helping with my mom's renovations in my childhood home. I have a Contracting Officer background as well and so I'm looking for direction. I like the thought of flipping homes and providing a "home" for buyers looking to move into the local area. 

Real estate investing the right way is hard work. I speculate you went to boot camp because the Air Force wanted to keep you alive when things got tough. This is a hard market. Either binge watch youtube videos of how to get things done and hope you've watched the right ones, or get some boot camp time in. If it were easy, every one would be doing it.
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeff CopelandBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11mo

    @Denzel Dones - Fellow veteran here. Thank you for your service. 

    I'm not in NC, but more than happy to share some free resources (videos, podcasts, etc) that you may find helpful in your investing journey.

    Copeland Morgan LLC4.770 Reviews
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Denzel Dones:

    Hey everyone, I'm a 34 year old Air Force Vet, earning 6 figures as a Business Consultant. I have 6 figures in cash reserves and I've been curious about RE. Moving from base to base, I've been forced into renovations of previous homes (cough "pipe burst flooding") and currently helping with my mom's renovations in my childhood home. I have a Contracting Officer background as well and so I'm looking for direction. I like the thought of flipping homes and providing a "home" for buyers looking to move into the local area. 

    Hey @Denzel Dones, welcome to the BP Forum! I take it you're most interested in SF flips? Are you looking for properties in Charlotte? Also, I note a hint of a desire for you to "give back" to your community in this...am I tracking?

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Denzel Dones:

    Hey everyone, I'm a 34 year old Air Force Vet, earning 6 figures as a Business Consultant. I have 6 figures in cash reserves and I've been curious about RE. Moving from base to base, I've been forced into renovations of previous homes (cough "pipe burst flooding") and currently helping with my mom's renovations in my childhood home. I have a Contracting Officer background as well and so I'm looking for direction. I like the thought of flipping homes and providing a "home" for buyers looking to move into the local area. 

    Real estate investing the right way is hard work. I speculate you went to boot camp because the Air Force wanted to keep you alive when things got tough. This is a hard market. Either binge watch youtube videos of how to get things done and hope you've watched the right ones, or get some boot camp time in. If it were easy, every one would be doing it.
  • Investor · Toledo-MetroDetroit-Dallas · Member since 2022 · 122 posts · 71 votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Denzel Dones:

    Hey everyone, I'm a 34 year old Air Force Vet, earning 6 figures as a Business Consultant. I have 6 figures in cash reserves and I've been curious about RE. Moving from base to base, I've been forced into renovations of previous homes (cough "pipe burst flooding") and currently helping with my mom's renovations in my childhood home. I have a Contracting Officer background as well and so I'm looking for direction. I like the thought of flipping homes and providing a "home" for buyers looking to move into the local area. 

     @Denzel Dones,

    With your background, flipping could definitely be a good fit, but I'd also look at long-term SFH rentals if you want to build wealth and cash flow over time. Especially starting out, I'd advise the more passive, easier option in real estate investing.

    If you’re open to out-of-state investing, markets like Toledo, Detroit, and Dallas have been great for both flips and rentals depending on the neighborhood and team. I’ve learned a lot from successes (and a few misses) in those areas and happy to share what’s worked if you’re exploring that direction.

    • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 6 votes
      11mo

      @Moe Sidd oh this is also really interesting and yes if it is advantageous. Yeah I'm willing to connect further to learn from your experiences. Let me know how I should be reach out to you.

  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    11mo

    @Denzel Dones,

    Welcome to the BP community.  

    With what you have mentioned with jobs and reserves. I suspect that you are not looking for an other part time job. I'm sure you are looking into REI to grow your wealth. Your background will offer you good insight into the property but may of the investors that I talk with are not interested in the headache of a renovation.

    When I talk with investors in our position we talk about investing in New Construction.  For the first time in may years on average new construction has become cheaper than existing.  Many builders are also able to offer incentives that are not available on the secondary market. 

    the Charlotte market is a fantastic place to invest.  It is a market that is growing in both population and well paying employment.   

    Let me know if i can answer any more specific questions.

    Best of luck on your REI journey.

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11mo

    Buy a fixer with a VA owner occupied loan. Move in and fix while there. As fast as you can...maybe a year later Rinse and Repeat. Sounds like a perfect side business for you.

    If you run out of VA eligibility, then replace those loans with DSCR loans when you have to refinance to do the next project.

    • Travis TimmonsPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

      Buy a fixer with a VA owner occupied loan. Move in and fix while there. As fast as you can...maybe a year later Rinse and Repeat. Sounds like a perfect side business for you.

      If you run out of VA eligibility, then replace those loans with DSCR loans when you have to refinance to do the next project.

      ^^THIS^^

      Owner occupied strategies are low risk, low cost up front, and the usually the best hedge against talking yourself into a bad property/neighborhood bc it is cheap since you have to actually live there. 

      It'll be inconvenient but the best long term strategy. If you don't mind living in a job site and moving every year or two, you can wake up in 5-10 years with a handful of solid rentals.
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    11mo

    @Denzel Dones connect with @Jaycee Greene, he's a wealth of info!

  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    11mo
    Awesome thank you all for the insight. This is truly beneficial!
  • Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
    11mo

    You're set up to win. Start with a light, cosmetic flip in a neighborhood with fast retail demand, not a heavy rehab. Lock ARV with three tight sold comps, get a line‑item scope and two bids, and include all carrying, closing, and selling costs in your math. Set a hard profit floor and walk if it's thin. Build your core four now—agent, GC, lender, title—and run weekly timelines like you would any contract. First target: a clean house that needs paint, floors, fixtures, landscaping, and a quick list. One boring, profitable rep, then scale.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.