Seeking Funding Guidance and Private Lender Connections
Hi BiggerPockets community,
I’m a rookie investor preparing for my first rental and looking for guidance on funding options, as well as potential connections with private lenders.
Quick background:
- W-2 income: Physical therapist (stable, long-term employment)
- Credit: Strong
- DTI: 0 (all car loans paid off)
- Dependents: None
- Strategy: Buy-and-hold rental
- Market: Out-of-state investing
- Experience: First deal / rookie
Target deal range (flexible):
- Purchase price: ~$50k–$150k
- Estimated rehab (if applicable): ~$10k–$40k
- Total capital needed: ~$70k–$190k
- Goal: Conservative, cash-flowing long-term rental
I’m currently evaluating different funding paths and feeling stuck despite having strong personal finances:
- Personal loans: I qualify but prefer not to use them due to potential credit impact and limited scalability.
- Portfolio loans: I’m interested but unsure how to approach local banks or credit unions, especially as an out-of-state investor.
- Private money: I’m actively learning how private lending works and what terms typically make sense for a first-time investor.
My long-term goal is to supplement and eventually reduce reliance on my W-2 income, transitioning to part-time physical therapy while building a sustainable rental portfolio.
I’d appreciate insight on:
- Funding structures that make sense for a first-time investor
- Whether portfolio loans are realistic for out-of-state rentals
- What private lenders typically look for when working with a rookie borrower
- How to structure a low-risk, lender-friendly first deal
I’m conservative, numbers-focused, and interested in long-term lending relationships rather than one-off deals. Happy to provide additional details if helpful.
Thank you for your time and guidance.
Nicole