Why So Many New Investors Are Filing Extensions This Year

Why So Many New Investors Are Filing Extensions This Year

William ThompsonBusiness Member
Accountant · Williamstown, NJ · Member since 2025 · 323 posts · 178 votes

Something I’m seeing a lot this week in the tax world:

New real estate investors scrambling in March and April… then filing extensions.

And here’s the important part —
An extension is not a failure.

It’s often a smart move.

If your books aren't clean, your depreciation isn't finalized, or you're still sorting out things like STR qualification, REPS, or cost segregation, rushing to file can create bigger problems later.

An extension gives you time to:

  • Clean up bookkeeping
  • Make sure depreciation is correct
  • Avoid missing deductions
  • Avoid amending later

What you don’t want to extend is clarity.

Extensions delay paperwork — not payment. So running your numbers before the deadline still matters.

For those starting out:
Don’t panic just because others are filing early. File when it’s accurate, not just fast.

Curious — are you filing on time this year, or extending to make sure everything is clean?

RE Accounting and Tax Professionals LLC522 Reviews
1Reply
122 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    I always file an extension. 

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    @William Thompson

    I’ve been told by a number of CPA’s within our investing group, filing an extension reduces your chance of an audit.  These are CPA’s who have been through the audit process.  I don’t know if there is any validity to this, but I have been filing extensions for years.  

  • William ThompsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Accountant · Williamstown, NJ · Member since 2025 · 323 posts · 178 votes
    7mo

    Kevin, good morning.  I agree with the members of your group.  Statistically speaking, more returns are pulled for examination from the early filers than from those filing extensions.  So filing an extension is not a bad thing.  Happy filing.

    RE Accounting and Tax Professionals LLC522 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.