Have equity but need help figuring out how to utilize it.

Have equity but need help figuring out how to utilize it.

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hey, I have always had a passion for Real Estate Investing for retirement purposes and passive income, but need some advice for my next financial move. I have always wanted to stick to single family’s or duplex’s, not a big fan of condos or town homes due to HOA's(but open to them).

My wife and I have bought our first home, Single Family Home, that we purchased for $450k with a 3% interest rate on it back in 2021. The mortgage is $2250 including(PITI) The home has basement apartment, 2 beds 1 bath, which we rent for $1400, utilities included. The upstairs is a 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom which is where we are atm. The upper portion could rent for $2600-2800. We are in Utah County, UT.

We have paid it down the mortgage a bit and owe $360K on it now. It now appraises for more than $700k, more closer to $740k. We are wanting to dip into the equity to purchase another home, possibly another live in rental like we have now(SFH with basement apartment). Only issue/issues are that we have two cars that are not paid off, totals to around $30k. And then we have a current HELOC that has $35k on it. So about $65k of consumer debt.

We have talked to a local real estate investor/agent and they recommended we can either a)take out a HELOC(hopefully around $150-200k) to pay off all debt and then have buying power for the next property or b) Do a cash out refi which would give us $95k of cash after all the debt is paid off. I am concerned with option b just because the interest rate would jump from 3% to 5.7% and over the length of the loan I would be paying double the amount of interest compared to the HELOC. I would hate to lose my 3% mortgage rate but I do understand it may benefit us by getting more real estate.

Another thing to note is that the upper portion of our current house would need some work done on it like updating the kitchen and bathrooms, new roof in 2-3 years, and new flooring(carpet and refinishing the hardwood). I want to get more properties but I feel like I’m stuck or maybe scared to make a move just because our current house needs a lot of work but also I do have a decent amount of equity to utilize.

Question is what should we do?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this. Thanks for reading.

0Reply
178 views

Most Popular Reply

G. Brian DavisPro Member
Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 851 votes
7mo

If it were me, I'd clean up the car loans and the HELOC first, get the house stabilized (especially with the roof and updates coming), then use a HELOC strategically for the next acquisition, not to consolidate debt. You're just early in the scaling phase. Tighten the foundation and then expand.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · OH · Member since 2026 · 122 posts · 77 votes
    7mo

    Konner — you’re in a really strong position: a low 3% rate on a home that’s doubled in value with an existing income-producing unit. That said, your situation is classic “equity rich, cash flow cautious,” so it makes sense to pause before rushing into more leverage.

    Here’s my take:

    1. Don’t give up the 3% lightly.

    Your mortgage rate is gold in today’s market. A cash-out refi at 5.7% is a big jump, and that extra interest could offset any gains from acquiring the next property — especially if you’re just starting out and want cash flow, not appreciation.

    2. HELOC can make sense short-term — but treat it strategically.

    - Use it primarily to pay off high-interest consumer debt first.

    - Avoid using it to fund major rehab unless you have clear numbers for ROI.

    - Keep it manageable; HELOC rates can float.

    3. Prioritize getting your current property stabilized.

    - Kitchen/bath upgrades in the upper unit could increase rent from ~$2,600 to $2,800+ — that’s real cash flow you can bank before taking on a new property.

    - Roof and flooring are foreseeable costs; budget them now so they don’t derail your next purchase.

    4. Scale cautiously.

    - Maybe wait until you’ve refinanced/upgraded the upper unit and have some cash flow history.

    - Then look for another SFH or duplex that cash flows immediately without needing heavy work.

  • Realtor · Provo, UT · Member since 2020 · 374 posts · 270 votes
    7mo

    This is a great problem to have. You bought right and you house hacked correctly. Now the risk is not the market. The risk is overcomplicating something that is already working.

    First, I would not touch that 3 percent mortgage. Loans like that are assets. You will likely not see money that cheap again for a long time. I have personally sold properties with sub 3 percent debt and I regret it. Once it is gone, it is gone.

    Between the two options, I lean toward the HELOC. A cash out refi resets your entire loan at a higher rate and increases your fixed monthly obligation permanently. A HELOC preserves your first position loan and gives you flexibility. Flexibility matters more than squeezing every dollar out of the equity.

    That said, here is the hard truth.

    I would also look closer at what actually needs to be done to your unit vs what should be done to make it rent ready. Once it's rent ready, then asses your move. 

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 851 votes
    7mo

    If it were me, I'd clean up the car loans and the HELOC first, get the house stabilized (especially with the roof and updates coming), then use a HELOC strategically for the next acquisition, not to consolidate debt. You're just early in the scaling phase. Tighten the foundation and then expand.

  • Investor · MI · Member since 2026 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    7mo

    "What should we do?" is truly a question that only you can answer.

    However, I would pose another question. Do you really want to leverage your home? I like the phrase "you can't eat equity", but a personal home is the one piece of real estate I don't recommend thinking about that with. This is where you are supposed to come home to at the end of the day. Where you are supposed to raise your family. This is where you are supposed to make memories. Do you really want to leverage that?

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7mo

    Slow and steady still wins the race. Clean up the car and HELOC and then reassess. And be careful not to treat debt like it is cash. They are not the same thing - especially a HELOC.

    One note to think about - most lenders will not do a HELOC on a rental property, so if your plan is to get the HELOC and then move out, you run the risk of the loan being called. Just disclose that on the front end if you go that route.

    If it were me, I'd work my a$$ off to pay down the debt, get another 5-10% down payment and a good enough debt to income ratio for the next house hack or live-in flip. It sounds like that will probably take a few years, and that's okay. Come at this from a position of financial strength and play the long game. The car and HELOC didn't wreck you, but they weren't decisions that align with your long term goals. Don't chase it with more debt as the answer...it's like losing a bet and going double or nothing on the next one. Its a great idea until something goes wrong.

    PS - if you don't have 2+ kids, move into the basement 2/1 and rent out the 5 bedroom unit upstairs. And never take financial advice from a real estate agent.

    PPS - sell one of the cars and drive something crappy. 

  • Lender · Marlboro, NJ · Member since 2025 · 243 posts · 148 votes
    6mo

    A 3% mortgage on a property that has appreciated that much and is partially rented is a great asset, so I would generally be cautious about refinancing out of that loan unless there was a very strong reason.

    From what you described, a HELOC tends to make more sense in situations like this because it allows you to access some of the equity while keeping the 3% first mortgage in place. That said, before pulling additional equity out, I would probably look at cleaning up the consumer debt and making sure there's a plan for the upcoming repairs (roof, kitchen, flooring).

    Once the balance sheet is a little cleaner, the property itself sounds like it could support another live-in rental strategy similar to what you’re already doing. Keeping the low-rate loan and using equity strategically tends to be how a lot of investors in your position continue to scale.

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6mo

    Hi Konner,

    You’re actually in a stronger position than you probably feel. A 3% mortgage on a property that’s now worth around $740K is a great asset. I would be very cautious about giving that up. Refinancing into a 5.7%+ loan just to pull cash can cost a lot more long term, even if the interest is deductible.

    Before expanding, I’d look at the foundation. You mentioned about $65K in consumer debt and upcoming repairs like a roof and interior updates. Paying off high-interest debt is a guaranteed return. Stabilizing your current property reduces risk and improves future cash flow. From a tax standpoint, improvements to the rental portion can also be depreciated over time, which helps.

    A HELOC is generally more flexible than a full refinance because it preserves your 3% rate. But even then, I'd make sure your balance sheet is clean and you have strong reserves before adding another leveraged property.

    Growth is great. But strong investors focus on stability first, then scale. You have equity. The key is using it intentionally, not just because it’s there.

    House hacking to start the journey might be a good option for you as well. This is how many real estate investors start out. This helps them see the ins and outs of how running rentals can work and it often jump starts their process into purchasing new rentals and growing their portfolio.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Vijay FriedmanBusiness Member
    Miami, FL · Member since 2026 · 766 posts · 122 votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Konner Karr:

    Hey, I have always had a passion for Real Estate Investing for retirement purposes and passive income, but need some advice for my next financial move. I have always wanted to stick to single family’s or duplex’s, not a big fan of condos or town homes due to HOA's(but open to them).

    My wife and I have bought our first home, Single Family Home, that we purchased for $450k with a 3% interest rate on it back in 2021. The mortgage is $2250 including(PITI) The home has basement apartment, 2 beds 1 bath, which we rent for $1400, utilities included. The upstairs is a 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom which is where we are atm. The upper portion could rent for $2600-2800. We are in Utah County, UT.

    We have paid it down the mortgage a bit and owe $360K on it now. It now appraises for more than $700k, more closer to $740k. We are wanting to dip into the equity to purchase another home, possibly another live in rental like we have now(SFH with basement apartment). Only issue/issues are that we have two cars that are not paid off, totals to around $30k. And then we have a current HELOC that has $35k on it. So about $65k of consumer debt.

    We have talked to a local real estate investor/agent and they recommended we can either a)take out a HELOC(hopefully around $150-200k) to pay off all debt and then have buying power for the next property or b) Do a cash out refi which would give us $95k of cash after all the debt is paid off. I am concerned with option b just because the interest rate would jump from 3% to 5.7% and over the length of the loan I would be paying double the amount of interest compared to the HELOC. I would hate to lose my 3% mortgage rate but I do understand it may benefit us by getting more real estate.

    Another thing to note is that the upper portion of our current house would need some work done on it like updating the kitchen and bathrooms, new roof in 2-3 years, and new flooring(carpet and refinishing the hardwood). I want to get more properties but I feel like I’m stuck or maybe scared to make a move just because our current house needs a lot of work but also I do have a decent amount of equity to utilize.

    Question is what should we do?

    Please let me know what your thoughts are on this. Thanks for reading.

    @Konner Karr

    I’d be very cautious about replacing a 3% first mortgage with a much higher-rate cash-out refinance unless the next deal clearly produces enough return to justify it. That low-rate loan is a valuable asset.

    A HELOC may give you more flexibility without disturbing the first mortgage, but I'd still count that payment as part of the total debt when analyzing the next rental. Also, since your current home needs some repairs and you have consumer debt, I'd make sure you keep enough reserves instead of deploying all available equity.

    I'd probably compare both options side by side: payment after HELOC vs payment after cash-out refi, then see if the next property still cash flows after all debt, vacancy, repairs, taxes, and insurance.

    DreamPoint Capital
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.