Lender · Florida · Member since 2025 · 673 posts · 240 votes
3mo
Welcome to the investing community. One thing I’ve noticed from working with new investors is that the strategy matters less than building the skills that help you consistently find and evaluate opportunities.
For investors starting with limited capital, networking and partnerships often provide the fastest path to gaining real-world experience. Many successful investors spent their first year learning how to analyze deals, build relationships with contractors, agents, lenders, and property managers, and understanding their local market before taking on larger projects.
If you’re already researching vacant lots and distressed properties in Essex County, you’re looking in an area with redevelopment potential. I would encourage you to focus on becoming an expert in a specific niche or geographic area rather than trying every strategy at once. Knowing values, zoning, rental demand, and redevelopment opportunities better than your competition can create a significant advantage.
From a financing perspective, I’ve seen new investors successfully start with:
• Small fix-and-flip projects • Single-family rental properties • Wholesaling to build capital and relationships • Joint ventures with experienced investors • Vacant land opportunities where entitlement or redevelopment potential creates value
My biggest lesson for new investors is to underwrite every deal as if you’re actually going to buy it. Even if you pass on 100 opportunities, you’ll develop the skills needed to recognize a great one when it appears.
Keep building your network, analyze as many deals as possible, and don’t be afraid to partner with experienced operators on your first transaction. The education you gain from being involved in a real deal is often worth more than months of research.
Best of luck, and if you come across a deal that needs financing, feel free to share the details. I’d be happy to help you evaluate the numbers and discuss potential lending options.
Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3mo
Hi @James Laraque House Hacking is the direction I went. Great option for those starting out, especially if you are limited on cash. I have purchase many homes using low money down loans.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. I really appreciate the advice.
One thing that stood out to me was focusing on becoming an expert in a specific geographic area. I've been spending a lot of time researching Newark, East Orange, and other parts of Essex County looking at vacant lots, distressed properties, and redevelopment opportunities.
As someone just getting started, would you recommend I focus primarily on learning deal analysis and networking before pursuing my first transaction?
Also, from a lender's perspective, what are some of the biggest mistakes you see new investors make when evaluating deals?
Thanks again for the insight. I'm looking forward to learning from experienced investors here on BiggerPockets.
House hacking is something I've been learning about lately. Since I'm still new to investing, I'm trying to determine whether I should focus on house hacking, wholesaling, vacant land opportunities, or redevelopment projects in Newark and Essex County.
Looking back at your first year, what do you think gave you the biggest advantage as a new investor?
I'm based in Newark and have been researching vacant lots, distressed properties, and redevelopment opportunities throughout Essex County.
For investors who started with little capital, what strategy helped you gain the most experience in your first year?
Did you focus on wholesaling, rentals, vacant land, partnerships, or something else?
I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences and lessons learned.
It’s a good idea to set aside an emergency fund for unexpected expenses and repairs. If you're investing in properties in Newark, take time to familiarize yourself with local and state housing regulations. The city can impose significant fines—sometimes up to $1,000 per day; for issues such as lack of water, heat, or hot water, so staying compliant is important.
If your available capital is limited, consider waiting until you have a stronger financial cushion before getting started. While options like house hacking or using an FHA loan may help you enter the market sooner, having a reserve fund can make a big difference when unexpected costs arise. In the meantime, you might focus on building savings through a side hustle or by becoming a real estate agent. Not only can this help you grow your capital, but it also provides valuable hands-on experience and insight into the real estate industry.