New Investor in New Jersey Looking to Learn

New Investor in New Jersey Looking to Learn

Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 1 vote

I just moved out here to Newark, NJ and I have recently started diving deeper into real estate investing, with a focus on wholesaling and off-market opportunities.

As I drive around Newark, and surrounding areas, I constantly see vacant lots, abandoned buildings, and properties that look like they have redevelopment potential. My goal right now is to learn how experienced investors evaluate these opportunities and build the right relationships in the industry. I got a few pointers from a few People from here but just need to get directed in the right direction and I thank all who have helped me so far. 

For those who started in wholesaling:

  • How did you find your first deal?
  • What helped you build your buyers list?
  • What mistakes should new wholesalers avoid?
  • Are there any NJ-specific resources, groups, or meetups you'd recommend?
0Reply
116 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sterling, VA · Member since 2026 · 89 posts · 48 votes
    3mo

    My first deal came from driving for dollars in Maryland. One thing that helped me early on was focusing on building relationships rather than obsessing over having a huge buyers list. I spent time networking in local Facebook investor groups and connecting with people actively doing deals.

    One mistake I made was getting too fixated on a single opportunity. At one point I spent 2–3 months pursuing a seller with three parcels of land. I thought it was going to be a great deal, but it ultimately fell through. Looking back, I should have kept multiple opportunities moving at the same time.

    If you're in New Jersey, I've heard good things about The REI Bros community (google them they're also on IG). I was involved with them for a period and they're very active in the NJ/Tri-State market. They have investors, agents, and buyers in their network, and their WhatsApp community can be a good place to learn and make connections.

    My biggest advice: don’t wait until you have the perfect buyers list or the perfect deal. Start building relationships and keep multiple conversations going at once.

  • Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    3mo

    I appreciate you taking the time to share that bro. It's encouraging to hear that your first deal came from driving for dollars because that's actually what I've been doing around Newark. I keep coming across vacant lots, abandoned properties, and buildings that look like they may have redevelopment potential.

    What you said about focusing on relationships instead of chasing the perfect deal really stood out to me. As someone just getting started, I'm realizing that building the right network may be more important than finding the next property.


    Thanks again for the advice. I'm looking forward to learning from people who have already been through the process.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.