buying a investment property in canada.

buying a investment property in canada.

brantford, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hey there bigger pockets, I am looking to expand my portfolio sooner rather then later.

I currently right now have a surplus of $18 000, yearly. I am looking to in buying an investment property.

I currently have owned my home for just about 1 year, which we have about 13% equity in.

Now the problem I have is generating the capital for purchasing a second property. I live in Ontario, Canada and you need 20% down on your second property. So now I am not sure about how to get into my second property. So I am wondering if I there is any way to not have 20% down on the second property right now about 60% of that extra income is coming from my day job and the other 40% would be coming from my girlfriend, it is not claimable income. So as I understand it currently you cannot have more the 32% of your paycheck leveraged against. Right now my houses mortgage is 21% of my pay which leaves me 11% to get a second mortgage. Which means 405$ a month towards the second mortgage even though I could realistically could afford a lot more. So I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do.

Am I just compelled to saving up my income for two years until I have enough capitol or is there any other way?

0Reply
8 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    12y

    If you're willing to travel a couple hours, you can buy property around buffalo, NY for 5-20k.

    Rent appear to be 600-1200/mo for single family homes and taxes appear pretty low but I could be wrong.

  • Ontario · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP!

  • Investor · toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 8 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bradley Hyndman:

    Hey there bigger pockets, I am looking to expand my portfolio sooner rather then later.

    I currently right now have a surplus of $18 000, yearly. I am looking to in buying an investment property.

    I currently have owned my home for just about 1 year, which we have about 13% equity in.

    Now the problem I have is generating the capital for purchasing a second property. I live in Ontario, Canada and you need 20% down on your second property. So now I am not sure about how to get into my second property. So I am wondering if I there is any way to not have 20% down on the second property right now about 60% of that extra income is coming from my day job and the other 40% would be coming from my girlfriend, it is not claimable income. So as I understand it currently you cannot have more the 32% of your paycheck leveraged against. Right now my houses mortgage is 21% of my pay which leaves me 11% to get a second mortgage. Which means 405$ a month towards the second mortgage even though I could realistically could afford a lot more. So I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do.

    Am I just compelled to saving up my income for two years until I have enough capitol or is there any other way?

    As far as I know , you really need to have the 20%.

    You can get 20% through an LOC or private financing paying around 12-15% for one year, after one year you have to pay back the full amount.

    Buffallo is selling for 5K-20K? crime riden/ boarded up houses?

  • Homeowner · surrey, British Columbia · Member since 2013 · 98 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    you could possibly get the seller to help you also if they are willing. But as far as I know 20% is a must for second mortgage. 

  • brantford, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    okay well i wansnt sure if there was alternative options. On the plus side i should have saved enough in a year or so. thanks for all you help BP. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.