Marketing a New Property Management Company

3 Replies

I have been managing investment properties for several years and decided to start my own business. How did you other property managers reach out to your clients? Or how did you as an investor find your property manager? I feel as if I am blindly reaching out to investors,  many of which manage their own properties. I have been able to attain a few clients in the last few months but need to get a few more on the books. 

@Hannah Robie  congrats on reaching out to expand your horizons. I too am in Kansas City and I personally do property management. As you know, or may not know so I will tell you, many investors investing in KC are out of state and need local assistance. If you're prepared to take on business I suggest you start posting ads online such as craigslist and see what happens. There are a lot of property managers (quantity) but not a lot of property managers who do a good job (quality). If you do a good solid job you'll be ahead of the pack.  You might also network with investors at local REIAs there are several very good ones.

Are you a licensed real estate agent? Do you have insurance? Are you bonded? I think the first steps are to put yourself together in a professional manner if you haven't already. Just my opinion. 

Good luck!

Thanks JJ. I have managed hundreds of properties at once for my former employer. Almost all of our clients were out of state and in Canada. While I was there I doubled our clientele,  so I definitely understand the importance of quality considering the majority of the clients I had were word of mouth referrals. I am an agent and my business is all put together. I had tried putting ads on Craigslist years ago, but I will definitely try again for y own company. Thanks for your input. 

when I started in 2010 I posted ads on Craigslist and did a small postcard campaign to non owner occupied homes in some specific neighborhoods. I also sent postcards to people who had their homes on the market for sale for more than 90 days in those same neighborhoods. This was 2010, so there were a lot of stale listings to hit up. I was up to about 30 properties in A neighborhoods in a year and a half. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.