Buying first property, for buy-and-hold in the future

Buying first property, for buy-and-hold in the future

South Orange, NJ · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 0 votes

Greetings:

How do I know I'm paying too much for a property? 

I have an offer to buy for $350k, but an assessment was done and aparently it's worth $150. 

The property was renovated for $133k and the land value was $21k. So, I see the windfall the sellers will make. How can I push-back, and negotiate? 

The rental income will be $1300 per unit, it's a three family. I plan on living in one of the units, and buying fha. 

Please advise. Thanks

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • South Orange, NJ · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Also, are all first-time purchases usually going to get you in the deal "upside down" ?

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Do you mean assessment or appraisal? The "assessed value" that appears in the county records is not the market value. It a number that the county comes up with to determine the property taxes. It's usually based on a portion of the actual value.

    An appraisal is what you need to determine that property's current market value. If you are getting a loan, the bank will require a licensed appraiser to look at the property and give their opinion on the current value, because they will not lend more than the property is currently worth.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.