Be Careful! Personal Safety.

Be Careful! Personal Safety.

Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I got a call from a friend of mine today who does rentals in another part of the country in a "nice" town. While inspecting potential deals he walked in on a dead rape victim.

Folks, when you're inspecting property - especially vacant property - you need to take care of yourself. Never forget that no matter how nice a town you are in, you are operating "behind closed doors". No matter how pretty, wealthy, or "nice" they are - people behave one way in public and hide their secrets "behind closed doors". When you go there, you leave the safety of the public eye and familliar territory. You are in someone else's territory and need to have a heightened level of awareness. I am a 6'3, 260 lb martial arts practitioner and I never go into vacant property alone and I always have a 3' maglight and a "tactical" grade folding knife with me at minimum. I have never needed either yet and would frankly prefer to run like hell than ever get into a fight in someone else's territory (and not just for legal concerns) but the reality of the world is that there are bad people out there who are not governed by reason and must therefore be governed by other means.

0Reply
61 views

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2008 · 46 posts · 3 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "Punky":
    Sweet zombie jesus on a pogo stick! A dead rape victim? That's insane. Crap like that is the kind of thing that haunts dreams forever.

    Man, I was just in a gun shop the other day, and now I'm REALLY interested in getting a pistol (and fitting my lady with one too... :( )

    They have really nice pistols to fit a ladies hand now days. They even match my purse. Lol :mrgreen:

  • Boonies, PA · Member since 2008 · 333 posts · 15 votes
    18y

    Keep in mind folks we are not all Jason Bourne. It's extremely hard to protect yourself when someone has the intent of doing harm. You really need training.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_%22P%22_series_pistols

    A P89 is a pretty cheap gun $250, 9mm shells are not that expensive ($15 for 100 rounds) . I think you would want to go with a .45 caliber to stop someone.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    They even have special purses which have a built-in holster for the gun. I've been trying to get my wife to buy one. Just discretely slide your hand into the purse if you feel threatened. Unfortunately, if you have to shoot someone, the criminal will not only have holes in him, he'll be covered with lipstick, loose change, fingernail files, and whatever else women carry in their purses these days!!! What a mess!

    Mike

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.